Steampunk Flash/Thumb Drive

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
I've been working on a steampunk-styled flash drive (or thumb drive, USB drive) for my daughter's Christmas present, and since Christmas is over, I can show it to you...BTW, it was a huge hit with her!

It's a "steampunk" (Victorian-styled with lots of brass stuff) thumb drive for use at school. This one is an old timey telegraph key. She has to take computer projects back and forth from school to home and vice-versa, and likes steampunk type stuff, so here you go!

Telegraph_Key_USB_Drive.jpg
The whole thing is less than 3 inches long, and is fabricated from copper, brass, fossil ivory, ziricote wood, and a commercial 8 gigabyte USB drive.

I've started a blog about my metalworking, and you can see extensive details about the flash drive construction here: http://sterlingsculp...s.com/wp/?p=127

Thanks for looking!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have to say that that is very creative and really cool! On the other hand, as an old ham radio guy who has sent thousands of messages via Morse code, I'm a little sad to see an old-school key modified in such a way! Just kidding, I think what you have done is beyond cool. If you don't mind I'm going to send your photo to a friend of mine who loves steam punk stuff :)

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Sam, feel free to send this on as you please. This isn't a modification of an old key, it's completely fabricated from scratch, and is pretty tiny.

And I've always had a no-love relationship with Morse - I've learned and forgotten it about half a dozen times! :)

Last edited:

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
This is one of the most amazing items I have seen. It brings my whole life together. When I was very young I was into ham radio and Morse code and then I was part of the Computer industry.
Makes me wonder how many other Engravers have this in their background

Neo Dutch

Elite Cafe Member

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is too dang cool Tom. I really love steampunk stuff. The whole mad inventor thing really trips my trigger. Well I'm going to set here an rave but dang I do like what you did with that.

Ray

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words, folks! Glad you're finding it enjoyable - I really had a good time making it.

That is too dang cool Tom. I really love steampunk stuff. The whole mad inventor thing really trips my trigger. Well I'm going to set here an rave but dang I do like what you did with that.

Ray

Glad you like it, Ray. After all, you taught me everything I know. Now if only you would teach me everything you know!:cool:

dimovengraving

Elite Cafe Member
Congratulations, very good idea and design :clapping::clapping:

I may be wrong, but I think that "phillips" screw heads are outside of the age, and must to be as of the draft
This great work it deserves

Congratulations again :thumbsup:

Last edited:

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, folks, I appreciate the kind words. I really had a lot of fun with this - and it was really hard keeping it hidden from my daughter while making it. I usually sit around at night in front of the boob tube with my latest in-work items and inspect them and formulate the attack plan (OK, play with them...) so it was particularly difficult with this.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Sponsors