Question: Stainless Rifle Floor Plates

Douglas

I know many of you have engraved rifle floor plates. When they are stainless, do they usually make them from 300 series or 400 series stainless? I know that 400 is engravable.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It really depends on the rifle. Some of them in fact are alloy, not stainless at all. Then some are just plated. On a floorplate you have an easy option of test cutting the back side.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
The nice thing with a Floor plate you can feel the heft of it in your hand, to some degree. If it feels light it is probably an alloy of sorts, some of which are gummy and a bit of a B#ach to work with. If it has some weight to it do the magnet check on the shiny stuff. The 400 series is magnetic. I have heard some engravers get replacements from Brownells (steel) never done it but it does sound like a great alternative. There are possibly other suppliers as well, the ones I played with were either old steel or stainless. Pretty soon they will be made of Carbon Fiber.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A while back I ordered a replacement bottom metal (floor plate and trigger guard complete unit) for a pre 64 700-It turned out to be plastic. Should have read the whole description. Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors