Question: Source for Copper and Brass Wire

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Anyone know a source for soft copper and brass wire for inlay? My local source is out of stock.

Andrew Biggs

Rio Grande sells some very nice copper wire for inlaying. One spool should last a lifetime. It now comes in various sizes. A quick search on their web site will show you the options.

Cheers
Andrew

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Found both at rio grande. Should have looked there first. I am used to going there for silver and gold. Forgot they had base metals. Thanks.

mrthe

I use electric cable copper annealing it, easy to find in a lot of diameters, i make something wrong?
Sorry but sometime the language give me some doubt, is the soft copper a expecial type of copper or is only copper annealed?

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't inlay brass. It work hardens too quickly and for me, the cost and ease of inlaying gold wire outweighs the amount of time it takes to inlay brass.

Years ago, I found spools of copper wire in the local hardware store---all different gauges too.

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
For teaching wire inlaying the dead soft copper wire that Andrew suggested from Rio Grande works great, I have a spool 1.00 and it pulls smoothly through my draw plate. J.J.

Scottyd

Try wire-sculpture.com. They have bronze, copper, and brass all in dead soft in a lot of sizes. You can buy by the foot at reasonable prices and shipping is only $4.95.
Scott