Some Monsters and others little strange creatures XD

mrthe

Some recent carvings:

This one with a pushed metal work on it :

mrthe

Hi Arnaud,to move the metal i use common flat gravers or points like the Roland Baptiste one for inlay that is like a micro screw driver,with my palm control with the tungsten piston.
For the Hat for example i had used a flat graver 4 mm wide and after chasing with a sculpting punch to fold it on itself and make the desired shape.

mrthe

This is the Roland Baptiste Inlay point that you can sharp with his template,i use it for my inlay works and i like it very much.

Last edited:

mrthe

Thank you Bram for the tip,all the way "the templates" in the 99% give the names of who have thinked and designed it (the templates) for reproduce the points (that he should use and not invented) with the use of a template to reproduce it in a fast and easy way,the name of the template is not for who have invented the point,the same thing for my templates set for example or the Mike Dubber's Speitzer point to make another ;)

mrthe

Hi Eric,
Question 1 : No
Question 2: is Mr. The or Mister The maybe more easy to understand ;)

mrthe

The Story is .... around 15 years ago when i was in italy, i was playng the guitar in a Surf instrumental band called "The TrashLovers" our music was inspired from old Horror , pulp and spaghetti western movies......ok ... the name is because we was 3 elements playng, me "Mr. The" the drum player " Tony Trash" and the bass player "Nick Lovers" and since this time all my friends call me in this way "Mr. The" or simply "Mister", is not only my forum nick has beguin like my second name.

Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
But how do you actually pronounce your name? Is it in the anglicised way as in "the" is pronounced "thee" or "thu" or in the Germanic/northern European "tee" or like the Dutch who struggle with the TH sound and pronounce it "dee" or "duh"? As the Spanish use the TH a lot I'm guessing you'd say "thee" but I'm willing to bet someone like Arnaud would say something like "Mr T", lol.

Great hobo nickels by the way.

To those who think carving nickels is a way to wealth and riches, please think again. eBay is now flooded with a load of rubbish where folks think they can carve a nickel and make money, often this is only a couple of dollars at most and to be honest it's not worth the effort. Recently I've noticed that prices have dropped considerably and whether this is due to the economy or too many carvers who knows?

I can only see one quality carver who carves nickels so frequently that he has a constant turnover and that is Howard Thomas. But I get the feeling that even he may have over played his hand and I see that, bar the odd expensive coin, even his prices have dropped.

I haven't carved in quite a while, mainly due to eBay's crummy policies and extortionate fees. If I could find a way of selling to the collectors whilst avoiding Evil Bay I would. But to be honest, I think that carving a few coins a year and to have people wanting your work when you do carve a coin preferable to having to try and make a living at it.

Coin carving is fun and proper recompense is nice and encourages the carver to create more but as for making a living at it no. As a nice little addition to income, yes but it's best to treat it as a hobby rather than an income generator.

Last edited:

mrthe

Marcus in spain english pronunciation is very bad,people in the 99% pronuncing like is write follow the spanish phonetic,but weel at the least people finish calling only for "Mister" that is more simple hehehe.
About Ebay,well i think that this is not a good moment in general,and all the way good works are selled at very good priced,3 or 4 months ago i had see a lot of low grade carvings selled for a lot of money and over-valued from collectors,and very good coins selled for less that his real value his,the problem is that new carvers has started selling his works at very high prices,and the difficult is not sell a nickel at a high price,but be constant and grow your personal value little a little,i have see new carvers works before carve 2 or 3 nickels (with a very bad quality) with starting prices of 100/200 $,this is not good for anyone,all the way i think that the sales in ebay are a question of luck too,not only a question of how good is your work, if you have the luck to carve something that is higly appreciated for 2 or 3 collectors the price of your nickel finally will be very high , i had selled good carving (in my pinion) more cheap for example of ones that only take me one hour to be carved and less good in my opinion,but finally the price is in the eye of the buyer,carving for me is an Hobby and i like it,ever i start my auctions at 0.99 $ because i think that have to be the collectors that value your work and like for me is an Hobby is fun see too how doing it,when i was starting engraving hobo carvings allow me practice in a little surface in a metal not too much hard and selling my "practices" i had the opportunity of save some money to invest in tools,books,and instructional DVDs that help me a lot in my learning curve,now if you want carve for living the way will be very hard and if you want make it in Ebay .....buff....frustrating, i have to say all the way that Ebay allow me make a lot of contacts and a lot of private commissions that i sell for much more that my the final price of my nickels in ebay,i wan't to say that is a good way to know collectors and recive interesting private commission.

Latest posts

Sponsors