Critique Request Some lettering practise

hybridfiat

Im having a go at doing lettering as a way of improving my woefull shading. Im finding controlling the depth and direction of the fine lines a real trial.
My engraver is not making it easy. Starting is jumpy and the tool tends to dig in or skid. Is it the heel? I use a Lindsay 120 degree template. I was so unhappy with the result I stippled the shading.
The plates are about 27mm square and will be given to family members as fridge magnets.
The monogram was practise using the flat gravers I now have.
Any tips, criticisim?

Attachments

• S leaf script 013.jpg
    S leaf script 013.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 391
  • S leaf script 010.jpg
    S leaf script 010.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 298

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
G'day Hybrid, I think it looks pretty good. I noticed your handpiece and think it may be letting you down a bit for your control. I am using a Magnum for the heavier work and a 901 for the finer work and shading lines. The smaller handpieces fit better in your hand and allow you to work at a better angle to the job. Keep cutting, Ty.

hybridfiat

Id love to be able to use a different handpiece but this is GRS System 3.
Im thinking that if I can acheive a reasonable standard Ill invest in a topline engraving tool but not till Im sure I can do it justice.
Thats why I post here. Im hoping Ill get a bit of feedback cos judging oneself can be self-deceptive.
Some more practise below. Trying to keep the lines smooth and consistant in width.
Some overruns Im a little unsure how to run a line into another without a gap but not over-running and marking the opposite wall.
Ill engrave my neices name in the little scroll do a border and send it to her for Christmas

Attachments

• S leaf script 015.jpg
    S leaf script 015.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Try a drill that DJ mentioned during the dinner at my last GRS class:
Take your old practice plates and make cuts running off the edge.

The goal is to get the chip to drop straight down.

That's a lot trickier than you'd think. At first they'll fly off across the room - when you get them to come off at all.

As you gain control they'll fall closer and closer to the plate. When you're getting them even close you'll find you have much better control over your cutting overall.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
diandwill got it. you aint never going to improve with a work area that clean !

Latest posts

Sponsors