Some engraving from the 50's and 60's

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
These are scans of some copper plates my Grandfather engraved. I have about a dozen of these sample plates. He worked at Samuel Kirk and Sons in Baltimore MD from about 1950 to 1980 as one of their hand engravers. I have quite a bit of his work from plates like these to a huge portfolio of rubbings of all the "factory" jobs.

I thought you might enjoy see some of these. Although alot of his work was lettering, he was also very proflic with engraving scenes like on plate 2. He used to engrave large silver and pewter trays measuring 12-18" diameter with scenes of Baltimore and Maryland. When I get a chance, I will try to show some more of these.

Attachments

• plate_2.jpg
    plate_2.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 233
  • plate_3.jpg
    plate_3.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 237
  • plate_1.jpg
    plate_1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 233

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
There are few engravers around today that have the design capabilities of your grandfather. Engraving isn't a dying art, but I don't know anyone who gets much of this style of work, so those who are good at it are few and far between. You have a real treasure in these plates. Thanks for posting them, Bert.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I would love to see the rest of the plates....Thank you for sharing these photos with us.

Donny

Latest posts

Sponsors