Scrimshaw: Snow Leopard Scrimshaw

Cynthia

Here is color scrimshaw I did on fossilized walrus tusk. The idea for the design was inspired from a photograph I took at the zoo. It was the first time trying out some new inks (Dr. Ph. Martin's Hydrus Watercolors), I liked the new inks they are very vibrant. Over all I was happy with how the piece turned out, I had some trouble with the foreground but the snow leopard is the main focus and that is what most people will notice. The piece actually looks better when viewed in person, so I think I need to work on my product photography. The close up view shows up all the detail which is great but I would like to figure out how to photograph my scrimshaw work so it appears more like it is seen by the eye.

Any feedback would be welcome as I am still learning and trying to improve my skills.

Snow Leopard Scrimshaw.jpg _MG_1941 rs.jpg

For those who would like to see some photos of the progression of this piece I posted a "scrimshaw in progress" on my facebook page. Follow this link to see more https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.577291582300892.142636.170966212933433&type=3

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
that's a very nice version you did of the foto. the trick to taking fotos-- is to use absolute diffused lighting. check the tips section, there are some good ideas there how to achieve what you're trying to do.