Smith Wesson 39-2 slide

FuriousJulius

Hi All,
I've got a customer who would like his 1972 Smith & Wesson 39-2 slide engraved. Factory specs suggest it is carbon steel but that's all I've got to go on. Before I start working on a design I'm wondering how the steel will cut and if this is a feasible job. If it has any bearing it won't be a ton of coverage with a bit of inlay. I've poked around this forum's archives but haven't found a definitive answer. I can post pics if that's helpful.
Cheers,
~Will

FuriousJulius

Julius ,Make a practice cut on the slide in a place were it cant be seen. J.J.
Thanks for the reply JJ. Yeah looks like I'll be making a test cut. Seen plenty of these factory engraved and also aftermarket engraved so hoping for the best. I'm only in possesion of the slide, any suggestions where I should make a test cut?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Julius, You can make the practice cut on bottom of slide were it can't be seen just a small cut will tell you it's OK to engrave. J.J.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the reply JJ. Yeah looks like I'll be making a test cut. Seen plenty of these factory engraved and also aftermarket engraved so hoping for the best. I'm only in possesion of the slide, any suggestions where I should make a test cut?
Julius, if you’re asking these rookie questions you need more training imo.
kent

FuriousJulius

Julius, if you’re asking these rookie questions you need more training imo.
kent
Hi Kent as a rookie I'm asking questions before I embark on a job. If you'd like to elaborate on skills I'm missing I'm all ears. I've cut plenty of other types of things including knives and fine jewelry. The job is for a small portion of the slide which seems reasonable. We all have to start somewhere.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Kent as a rookie I'm asking questions before I embark on a job. If you'd like to elaborate on skills I'm missing I'm all ears. I've cut plenty of other types of things including knives and fine jewelry. The job is for a small portion of the slide which seems reasonable. We all have to start somewhere.
md. 39-2 manufactured in the 70’s . Before ultra tough stainless etc. I
thought cutting a Nick in an unseen area was common knowledge.As a primitive with machining background l gathered knowledge mostly from books. This was before the internet, utube , etc.. much tougher than now. I’m not a modern gun engraver, except on flintlocks I’ve built from scratch,I understand metallurgy making springs etc. most of my engraving is jewelry, buckles knives etc. i wish you luck on your journey.
btw I own a 39-2 , not engraved.
kent

Latest posts

Sponsors