small stainless folder engraved by monk

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i failed to follow my own advice. was going to try "western" style for the first time. didn't prepare a drawing.without a drawing, disaster soon follows !

Attachments

• WINK3A.JPG
    WINK3A.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 339

monk

Staff member
no , this stuff must have been in the 400 series. it cut very easily. i took the foto, if you want to call it a foto, with a canon powershot. the camera is good, i'm a lousy photographer.

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Actually, Monk, it looks pretty good to me, especially for a first try at western style without a drawing. Where did you get the Winchester knife, and was it exepensive?

monk

Staff member
it was given to me. i don't think it was expensive. i'll try to find out.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
I will say stainless is not the most fun to bright cut. A couple things to keep in mind, one, leave space between your backbone and the start of the bright cut (have a look at the bright cut tutorial I did a while back and you will see what I mean), and second avoid running your leaves in opposite directions, as you did in the beginning of your design. Your first attempt was much better than my first. Hopefully we will see some more. Good luck, Brian

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
i doubt that the great engravers of old had to draw what was already in their head, it was practiced there no doubt, but, they had cut such a peice, many times before. anyone would love to be the proud owner of such a nice folder.

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
Monk
For a first attempt, The knife looks great. You should see my first attempt at some single point engraving you do.
Rod

monk

Staff member
too late, to re design. will give serious thought to that the next time. i did look at your page. i clearly see what you mean. thanks

jdumars

Monk, I think it's great! If I saw that in a knife store, I'd ask to look it over! I anticipate such projects only getting better over time. As for pre-designing, I have found the approach of "vocabulary" very useful, where you have a set of elements you can combine like verbs, nouns and silence. If you think of these pieces as interchangeable, it allows you to approach design challenges based on the shape of the canvas. They can also be "sized to fit" -- which allows you to work on any size of project with the same level of fluency and comfort.

I hope this makes sense. It's hard for me because I have the design part pretty well down, but when it comes to steel, my work looks like a one-armed monkey got access to a screwdriver. :)

monk

Staff member
your sax work is so exceptional, if you're a bit shy with steel- i'm sure we all can forgive that. the only real difference is maybe color and , well a difference in surface hardness. you're right about the design elements. first i must learn the cuts, which really are far more simple than they first appear. that's a bit of practice. then comes the real challenge, at least for me- to learn an entire new "language" if you will, of designing in the western tradition. i think that will take quite a bit of time. i'm starting to pay way more attention to the western work of the forum members.

Latest posts

Sponsors