small drawing

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
small drawing

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Absolutely excellent, Bram. This will make a fantastic engraving :clapping: :thumbsup:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bram,

Absolutley beautiful neoclassical design. And you didn't need computer raster or vector graphics to create it. Imagine that!

Looking forward to the engraved piece,

Roger

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks nice Bram and small indeed. I don't know how you are gone transfer a that small pencil design onto the metal but I would like to know.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Bram I know these ways you are talking about. I too understand about the extra time, costs when one draws it first on paper, than draw it again on the metal, as that is the way it was always done as far as I understand.
One could also use tracing paper when the original is made at real size, and use the tracing paper to "scribe" on the tracing paper to the metal.
But all of that to me seems much more time and less accurate than tracing it into vectors etc, just the way I do it.
So I'm really curious to see how you will do all these small details exactly like you planed them with the pencil design.
I don't mean it is not possible, but I would like to see it done at this size level and details.

arnaud

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud,

If I were doing Bram's design for a knife bolster I would make a tracing of the bolster to tracing paper. Next I would draw the design in reverse on the paper with a soft lead (HB or #2). I would then use my own version of Chinese white on the workpiece then put the paper on the work (pencil side down) then rub the paper with a burnisher which will leave the lead from the pencil on the white surface. Other than drawing the design, I can do the whole process in less time than it takes to read this explanation. I have been doing design transfers this way since my brother taught it to me at the beginning.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Another way is to tape a piece of clear transparency sheet (we used to use acetate) over the drawing and very carefully scratch-trace the design onto the sheet. Then rub a bit of powdered graphite into the scratched lines, dab some transfer wax onto the metal, and burnish the back of the transparency sheet so it releases the graphite onto the transfer wax. This old school method is still very good and very accurate.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger

I can't draw in reverse so I flip the paper over and trace the design with soft lead on the back side, then burnish that version down. Means you have to 'draw' it twice but it's still fast and easy.

Latest posts

Sponsors