Critique Request Sketch

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
It's been awhile since I've posted. Here's a sketch that will be engraved on a spur band.
If you would, take a look, give me your opinions.

Thanks in advance
Jerry bands.jpg

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
txtwang,

A rough pencil drawing can often hold the key to a good design, and from there some refinement will take it further, so this is a start.

You will not regret taking the time to draw an accurate outline of your boundary shape, and then on this draw only the 'backbone' of your scroll paths as one single line. Don't go any further till the scroll backbone has an attractive form. After that you can start to add leaf elements. Out in the open, the backbone has nowhere to hide and you will easily see what needs to be done, for a start the two end 'C' scrolls are stretched too much, like they have been put in a vise and deformed. Your design can work, so that is good, now the refinement stage can be fun.

best

Rod

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
Rod, thanks.
I have redrawn just the backbone. Will this work?

bands 1.jpg

Jerry

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello, Jerry,

A modest improvement in form, but a ways to go. Also, you need to set your drawings on the true outline of your knife profile. Here is an example of scrolls with a certain and attractive ratio, other ratios work well, but just spend a bit of time free hand drawing, and draw big, and use an eraser, don't trace, just start to home in on noticing and narrowing the gap between your drawing and this computer generated scroll. You will not regret the excercise.

best

Rod

Attachments

• ccopy bress cap backbone 1.jpg
    ccopy bress cap backbone 1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 204

Latest posts

Sponsors