Sketch of Pheasant In Steel

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
pheasant.practice.plate.jpg This is a sketch in steel of a pheasant done with a hand push onglette.
Comments welcome.
JJ

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That came out very nice JJ, did you cut the entire picture with an onglette?
Are onglettes easyer to use for that instead of a bulino graver?
Would be a personal preference I think but my question is, what´s your reason for using the onglette.

JJ Roberts

Bill, I don't know how many hours it took, don't keep a record of time. Willem I've been using the onglette graver for years because I can cut very fine detail lines with it, the sky was done with 90 degree graver in a pin vice also used the onglette with H&C but now do all scrolls with power. J.J.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you JJ, I remember you told us earlyer you doing sometimes litle dots with a graver in a pin vice.
I tryed it several times, it works great and much faster.

JJ Roberts

Wellem, The 90 degree graver used with the pin vise is not hard to master, just hold the vice at a 55 degree angle press into the metal and rock back and forth and pop. Rock & Pop it's that simple.Wellem I'm constantly experimenting with tools, designs, anatomy and reading,it never ends. J.J.

monk

Staff member
jj, that bird looks good enough to go on a dinner plate ! i think it's great you have learned to use such a diversity of tools to do your work. as always, we all enjoy seeing what you do.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice job J.J.. Of course we all know what my opinion on bulino animals is worth. I may not be able to cut it but I know what is pleasing to my own eye.

JJ Roberts

Bill, I may use this Pheasant on a project maybe a lock plate on an L.C.Smith. Thanks every one for your kind words. J.J.

oakleave

very nice pheasant in a proportional landscam. great combination of engraving skill and artist drawing skills.
What comes next?

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That bird looks afraid of you, maybe you pecked him too much with your engraving tool. He wants to fly away but the point, face and heels of your graver are so highly polished that the glare coming off them is leaving him blind as a bat.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks a little flat. The edges of the head need to be a little darker to make the head take the correct shape. The body has good curves, but the tail feathers seem flat as well. The rocks or clouds or ? at the top need a little work as well. Try drawing and shading them prior to cutting.

JJ Roberts

Jerry, If you would please take the time and do a drawing and a practice plate with the same Pheasant so I can see all my mistakes and correct them before I show this practice plate of the Pheasant at the next gun show, thanks for your input on animal & bird anatomy. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors