Single point in the saddle shop

spadebit

My home is in the central California mountains, a
My typical engraving day is based in wide flat gravers and liners creating those sparkly brite cuts that we western brightcutters gravitate too. This time however, I worked with almost 100% vee gravers, and darned near all the cutting was done under the scope. The items here are pretty large, the spade shaped items is a saddle horncap, made in sterling 16 ga, the length is 4.75 width is 4.5. All the background has been removed and stippled. I recut most of my pattern edges, before I headed into doing the shading work. I have 26.7 hours of pure cutting time on the horncap, I would like to hear from others with regard to the time element of thhis piece. The floral pattern is done just like I would carve the leather work on a saddle, and matches the "Watt'er-Lillies" that cover the saddle.

Attachments

• R2A-NEVADA-HORN-CAP-A.JPG
    R2A-NEVADA-HORN-CAP-A.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 407

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
ummmm, delicious to the eye. just beautiful, not much else could be said, just plain dazzling work.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
Nice work and a nice change from western bright cut.

I push grave. I'll have about 10-11 hours on the sterling pendant I'm working on. It's an oval about 30mm long. A recent sterling bracelet with fully sculpted surface 5/6"x6" took me a little over 40 hours. I think I'm pretty slow but I do sculpt everything.

John

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I did a test piece for some corners in single point earlier this year. It took me 18 hrs for a small corner.I have 10 to do now and guess I won't see the light of day for a while yet!!!!!!

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jeremiah,

A very nice piece of work, I particularly like the lilies!

Yes, that single point style with background relief can while away the hours, but this one really pops, congratulations!

Rod

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
The thought of time and eye strain disappears when these jobs are for our "special" customers. I know she will love it like my Ellie does when I make her something with love.

spadebit

Thanks to all for the kind words and encouragement- it never hurts.
I use a heavily modified #39 flat graver to take out background areas
MY concern with the time it takes to cut this sort of pattern ( which is huge by comparison) to you gun and knife engravers. Is simply to get paid, this horn cap would retail for $1925.00 in my shop if I stick within my pricing module.
I do find myself wondering how efficient I work at the bench after a project such as this.
Best be off, I have 2 sets of Santa Barbara cheeks to get engraved..........YES, both sets are single point.
And thanks Marty, I love my 105

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great project JW. Love the layout and execution.

Glad you like using a 105 and it was great having you in my class last year. Nothing like having a world class engraver take a beginners class with you. Talk about putting the pressure on LOL

I did get your email on your way to your class and I hope the sharpening chart worked out good for your students. Use it anytime you care to my friend.

Marty

spadebit

Thanks Marty, and the rest of you for encouragement and kind words. I am off to demonstrate at Witchita Falls, Texas for tge GRS Company. So, if any of you are coming thru or planning on attending, by all means stop by see what we are doing and say hello. We will be glad to meet you all.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JW
Just remember that the "R" in the word DRAWER is silent and there are two "R's" in the word DRAWRING. :rolleyes::tiphat:

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat:Very nice work on that horncap, Spadebit:thumbsup: I'm not surprised that it was a lot of working hours, that's visible! Thanks for showing and for the info! Greetings, Paulie

Latest posts

Sponsors