Single Point engraved buckle

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Heres a poor attempt at some single point engraveing. Any tips pointer or criteques are welcomed...

I give up
Thank you Kevin

Steve

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks pretty good Steve.
Difficult to go beyond that. The photo is too dark to see detail.
Kevin P.

MichaelBaer

Steve,plant some peas.Over the summer watch as the vines grow and curl off in different directions.It will help you see scroll progression.How long did that buckle take you? MichaelBaer

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
nothin to fuss over. looks nice to me. i esp like the color. although that may be an artifact of the lighting-- not sure.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Steve,
Here is my honest opinion.

The most glaring thing I see is your knowledge of leaf structures, balance and consistency of background spaces, and these two things will help considerably in the appearance. Pick a leaf of good quality, break it down line by line and get it into your memory. Also, if you look at good scroll work, you will rarely find a spiral that has an outlined stem. It will most often be only the outside line of the spiral, and the leaves merge into the spine line and will leave a little distance between where the leaf line stops and the spine line is, but this must be very consistant with every leaf added creating a sort of stem. I call this an equidistant rule.

Many people would be very happy with the job you did however, and every piece cannot be a masterpiece. It will get better all the while, just keep cutting.

Time and more practice, study, and experience will cure most of your problems, and it will iron itself out.

Be proud of what you achieve. This is not just any ordinary challenge.

The buckle looks nice and custom made. That is worth something, as the touch of the human hand in ernest is exibiting the love of your work that comes from within.

Did you use a browning technique to color the buckle?

Ron S

Forward!

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Michael thank you ill do that, It took me prolly 3 or 4 hours to engrave.

Thanks for the comment Monk and thats pretty close to the actual color.

Ron first off thank you for takeing the time to coment and crtique i really appercaite it.
I will do as you suggest and spend some time studying leaves. And i see what you mean about the stem. I was told something about that before but i misunderstood what i was being told, but now with your explanation the little light bulb came on over my head.Im not sure i understand what you mean about the back ground spaces tho?
After it was done i could see alot of things i did wrong then after the post Marcus did i saw a bunch more. I will keep workin on it.And i do love doing this.

To get that Color i used Birchwood Casey Perma Blue Paste

I really dont post this stuff that i do to get attaboys i really want honest opinions and crituqes. And appercaite it emensely when someone takes the time to do it.
Thank you again

Steve