Silver Ladle

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
The pictures are not great but I thought a few of you might enjoy seeing this piece.
I made this ladle for an exhibit in the Western Folklife Center in Elko Nevada. It will open the end of this month. Here is the link to their web site- http://www.westernfolklife.org/Upcoming-Exhibitions/
There will be some great work in this show.
My Ladle is for sale thru the exhibit.
More photos can be seen on my Facebook page here- https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.206719776198086.1073741843.164791400390924&type=1
Don't be to harsh with critique as it is for sale still! ;) Those are welcome, just privately! Hahaha

Attachments

• IMG_1438.jpg
    IMG_1438.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1427.jpg
    IMG_1427.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1447.jpg
    IMG_1447.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 261

Andrew Biggs

Hi Jane
What a wonderful piece of work. The design of the handle works really well and the whole thing looks beautiful.
Perhaps you could tell us how you went about making it.
Cheers
Andrew

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for looking guys!
The Ladle body is formed out of one piece of silver. It is hand forged to different thicknesses throughout the piece using a cross pein hammer. I do most of the planishing as well with the large face of the hammer. It is probably 3-4 lbs. The bowl and the end of the handle are forged the thinnest and the narrowest part of the handle is the thickest. I started with 10 gauge silver sheet silver and cut out the ladle shape. I adjusted the outline of the pattern based on where the metal would be thickened and thinned. Then I forge the piece. When I make spoons I usually would then file the shape to fit the pattern perfectly, smooth out all the surfaces and start forming. Engraving would usually be last.
Since this handle has some ornate details, after it was forged to general shape I cut out my overlay pieces (flowers, scrolls, bee etc) and soldered it all together. There are many pieces and it fit together like a puzzle....when I was happy with the soldering job I cleaned it all up and cut out around the soldered on pieces and made the shape of the ladle as close to perfect as I could. Next I engraved everything because I thought it would be easier to do before I formed the the ladle bowl. Then I formed the bowl and polished it all out. If I had more time to work on this project I would have soldered an additional bee on the back of the handle in the same placement as the front and engraved the back as an imitation of the overlay on the front.
Hope that all makes sense.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
My new heroe!

SUPERWOOOMANNNNNNNN!!!!!!

FASTER than an aging engraver!
????
Come on guys!
Help me out!

P.S.-

Have y'all noticed that since relocating to Krypton (alias, Texas), Jane has gained superhuman artistic abilities?

Last edited:

Julia.J

Thank you for sharing a little of the process of creating this.
Interesting working method and most unique piece; well done, no critique from me :)

Take care,
Julia

jr hoot gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I think Jane has taken full advantage of the learning experience the TCA has provided through workshops and individual training. I met Jane at her first TCA workshop and it has been great watching her skills develop. She is really kicken' donkeys!!!

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Wow, thanks all! Hoot is right, the TCAA (silverchip for example) have helped me in so many ways and I cant even put into words how much I owe them and want to thank them for their help!

Latest posts

Sponsors