Silly stainless questions

K Frei

Elite Cafe Member
Ok three questions. A few weeks ago someone posted a link to some bluing products that would blue stainless,now I cant find the post, if anyone remembers what or where I would appriciate seeing that again.

Second where can you get lamp black?

And third; ok I guess tecnically its four questions, Iposted this earlier but I think most were over the thred by the time I got to it, so I'll try and re-post: here is another silly question, does the bluing remover work on all bluing solutions or just cold blue? Further more what solution works best for this, as right now I have a knife that would be neat French grey'd Thanks. K Frei

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
The best place to get lamp black is from a lamp ! oil type work best electric ones dont give the same result :biggrin:

sorry couldn't resist :rolleyes:
Ray

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think gesswein sold lamp black some time ago. they have an on-line catalog.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
An acetylene torch will provide you with an enormous amount of carbon soot. A metal plate held a few inches above a small flame of pure acetylene will work.

Bob

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
When I scratch built my 1770 Isaac Haines long rifle, I used up about seven of the regular tall tapered candles to blacken the parts as needed. Candles are cheap and easy to use.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Ed,Thanks for posting Caswell Platings web site,I be calling them for sure.J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors