Sign Painter Movie update

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i just checked here: http://signpaintermovie.blogspot.com/ to see if there are any new showings posted and there are.

OF NOTE TO ANDREW: it's showing Monday night, Oct. 14th, in Christchurch at the Hoyts Riccarton.

AND TO SAM- 2 nights, Oct. 18th & 19th in Nawlins (on Tulane campus)

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
I used to work for Tyler Seiz (size) Signs here in Hot Springs, Ar. There were parts that I loved, and parts that I hated. He had been in the business his whole life, so about 60 years at that point. His dad started it up before... I think before World War II. We had all the paint brushes and cans of One Shot all over the place. Most of the time we just stuck vinyl down. We did a lot of install and work on big street signs, too. Those giant plastic high relief Shell signs and whatever else? Those.
I enjoyed the rare time or two I got to hold a paint brush, and so did Tyler. I think the vinyl made Tyler really bitter because it took all the fun out of actually making the signs.

Thanks for posting the link.

Newton Pens

Elite Cafe Member
Here's one I painted for a friend's shop several years back. 2005. It still looks pretty good up there, too. :)

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
In my home town Kearny N.J. there was one sign painter Shawn McGonagl from Scotland he had his own pipe band and knew everything there was to know about native American Indians Shawn won the 64 thousand dollar question a TV show back in the 1950's the subject Native American Indians. J.J.

leo

Elite Cafe Member
hey JJ I think shawn or his son are still around because I heard about him here in jersey city if I am not mistaken they do store fronts and custom designs banners for fairs and festivals

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
leo,I know Shawn had a daughter don't know of a son,Shawn had a heart attack and died while leading his pipe band down Kearny avenue.Any time I found Shawn painting a sign I would stop and watch,he was a master with a brush. J.J.

monk

Staff member
yes, newton. the brush was fun ! i was the last holdout to go vinyl in this little town. the other signman in town started with the cut vinyl. he kept stealin my customers, so i went computerized and started getting them back in the fold. i could work just as fast & for less money than he, as i had almost no overhead. i do miss doing the brushwork, though.

Latest posts

Sponsors