Should I call it done, or spend more time on this?

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
I've been working on this "sidelock" style knife for a memorial Ducks Unlimited Banquet (for an old boss and hunting friend of mine - Eric Pierce).
Should I spend more time on the duck , water, etc scene, or call it done - it is a donation and there are about 80 hours put into it so far. I want it to look good, but I'm also afraid of over doing it, or screwing it up. DU Knife 078.jpg DU Knife 079.jpg
Thanks for your impute,
Gordon Alcorn

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
Maybe some shading around the inside of the oval to give it that look of being farther back (the water scene) and that will give the oval the apperance of being closer, just my thoughts. :)

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Gordon, Your duck scene lacks depth. About 2/3rds up the oval there should be the bank with brush and trees. This will rotate the scene to look more level and give the perspective of looking across the water, which is the angle of view we as bipeds are used to seeing. As it is now, we see the side profile of the duck, but more of a top profile view of the water, so our brains are getting conflicting angles of view. Study some shotguns with water fowl scenes and you can see what I mean. Over all though it's looking pretty good. Best regards. Brian

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the impute. I will do some crosshatching - I have shied away from crosshatching after overdoing (or poorly doing) it on some early engravings.
I see that some shading around the oval could add to the scene, and I'll do some of that.
Brian, I see what your saying about the scene, and had originally saw it that way, but hardness of the metal and being afraid of screwing it up wimped me out of it. I will add some background for more depth and better perspective.
Thanks everybody,
Gordon Alcorn

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gordon,
Very nicely done! Many years ago I worked with Eric on some DU guns for engraving. While I never met him he was always a pleasure to do business with.
Rex

john pilk

i think you have done a very good job of the scrollwork , design and cutting. the only thing is the duck is going backwards. in arms engraving we most always flow forward towards the muzzle. other than that everything looks great. please don,t get flamed at me . just my opinion . i,ve been there.

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys,
Rex, I do remember Eric making it a point to have me take a close look at one of the guns you had done for DU - I remember thinking -"Wow!- that's really cool, I wonder if I can do that?" And that planted a seed in my head for doing engraving - Just what I think he wanted to do at the time.
John, I see just what you're saying - the original drawing was the bird facing the other way - just happened I did not mirror my transfer - anyway I will definitely remember that for the next layout.
Thanks,
Gordon