Shotgun Barrels engraved?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a question for you shotgun engravers, I've been studying shotgun engravings, and see plenty of fine examples, but I have yet to see one with the whole barrel engraved, meaning double barrel shotguns. Why is this? Is there a problem engraving them, weld?

What should I look out for. What should I avoid.

Thanks again

Saludos,
Carlos

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Carlos,Engraving the whole barrels on double gun barrels would'n look very pleasing to the eye,I have seen many single barrel shotgun engraved done in Japan. J.J.

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
First thing I can think of for me is they are a pain to cut because you have to swing them around all the time. Also you are dealing with cutting on a continuos curve. I personally will only cut the breech and muzzle end. Some barrels can get thin in the mid section also so cutting into them may translate into a safety issue.
I have seen it done a few times but not for me and God bless the ones who did them for it is a lot of time invested in the cutting. ZZ

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Three main points...safety due to thin barrels, great amount of time involved to accomplish, and as JJ says, not very pleasing to the eye at least for most folks. Most foreign made doubles will have fairly thin barrels and I expect the engraving would take them out of "proof". American made barrels are usually thicker. Even if after engraving there was still the recommended minimum steel thickness the length of the barrels, all those cuts would add stress risers by the ton in that thin metal.

goodsteel

If it were to be done, it would be simply as a showpiece to demonstrate the engraver's talent while at the same time violating the look that all fine shotguns try to capture:
Understated Elegance.

monk

Staff member
if a cat engraved, 6 or 7 of his lives would be spent doing this. aside from the traditional manner such is done, you're gonna have to charge mega bucks for the extra work.

Latest posts

Sponsors