shop made sharpener

Hi Folks,

Sorry I haven't been posting much.

One of the first things I figured out is that you have to have some kind of system to sharpen the graver.

I got my Gravermach setup and going, made some straight cuts, and I have been messing around with toner transfer. I went to the hardware store today and bought the Bull's Eye shellac, the BIN primer and the denatured alchohol. Will try that some tommorrow.

Anyway, I have been working on a sharpener.

I still need to mark the dials so I can set the different angles, for now, all I need is 45 deg, and 15 deg.

I'm just doing it with a combination square for now.

Here's a pic of the sharperner.

I think it works well, I started cutting straight lines and promptly buried the graver way too deep, it was really going to town.

I'll post a practice plate tomorrow. I'm just doing straight lines at the moment. The small brass part is to set the stick out to 3/4" on the graver so the angle is correct.

Take care,

Matt

sharpener_jig_2.jpg

sharpener_jig.jpg

Tundra, yes, I will index it. I have to figure a way to set my indexer to 45 deg to index the skirts.

Jo, I'm an old fart, so I have collected fun tools in my shop.

There will probably be a few more versions Sam, I agree, it needs to look fancy! I considered engraving the index marks, was that what you meant? Or both? A few scrolls and index marks?

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Being Sunday, I'm taking the wife out for breakfast, then to the bead and mineral show.

Then back for some flat practice this afternoon.

Take care,

Matt

Latest posts

Sponsors