Shading help

john d

I use a 90 degree graver with my Magnum handpiece fror just about everything. But this combination of graver and handpiece doesn't work well for shading, particularly for cutting fine lines. Any advice on which hand piece and graver I need to be using in order to get those fine shading lines. Also, what stroke setting should I use when shading?

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
John, Magnum isn't that good for shading indeed. You're better off with 901 or even Monarch. 901 is more universal, Monarch is made especially for finer work.

As of graver, many people use 120V for almost everything. Contours, shading etc. Now I use Lindsay 116 V graver, but 120 works just as well. 90V should work also. In his Bulino DVD Chris DeCamillis showed that ~105 V graver gives the darkest cuts compared to wider and narrower angles. Try for yourself and see which one gives you best control and visual appeal.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John
You can shade with the Magnum handpiece. I find it very versitile. The 901 or Monarch are a better choice but dont let the Magnum stop you. Lower the air pressure setting a bit and I use strokes of about 2300 pm. i am not super comfortable with the 120 graver and use mostly a 90 or a 70 for shading with the Magnum. It can be done and you also just have to practice using a light touch.

Marty

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I started with just the Magnum and as Marty (Fancygun) said, it works just fine for shading. But as Vilts noted, that light touch is a lot easier with the Monarch.

For now just take a practice plate and your Magnum and see just how fine and light a line you can cut - to me the key is in the foot pedal.

Sponsors