Question: Search colleagues

Are there any engravers here who also do seal engraving ?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • in Germany

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sam alfano, our benevolent dictator used to do such. not sure if he still does. i think he did most of such work on rings.

unplugged

I really admire the perfect engravings of Sam Alfano. If you google hand engraving, there is a lot to find from him. However, only one example of a signet ring.
With my request I would like to contact especially colleagues who, like me, are not to be found otherwise in the usual social networks (Facebook,Instagram etc.). And also do not have their own web presence.

monk

Staff member
I really admire the perfect engravings of Sam Alfano. If you google hand engraving, there is a lot to find from him. However, only one example of a signet ring.
With my request I would like to contact especially colleagues who, like me, are not to be found otherwise in the usual social networks (Facebook,Instagram etc.). And also do not have their own web presence.
socially, i'm a recluse. no facebook, insta gram, twitter, or tik-tockery for me. i know that leaves me somewhat if not totally in the dark. but i like the "place" i'm in. ny reason for participating here is selfish: i learn and i try to nelp a newb when possible.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
Sorry for not contributing earlier but I've looked over your photos and they are fantastic. I used to do a lot of crest work but as I aged I gave it up to an apprentice. The detail and precision needed became more than I cared to handle.

But your work is above and beyond; and the photos showing the progression of the work is really amazing. A lot of the coat of arms work on line is impressive but I really think that most of is computer generated because there are elements that are too good, too flat, especially in the lettering of the motto banner. I suppose there are some skilled engravers who are able to refine the machine layouts and make them look completely hand done. But there are not a lot of those on line. Most of them look flat and completely computer generated. Your ring is dynamic and looks like it was engraved by a human.

But what really amazed me is the face on the crest.The face must be insanely hard to carve but the mustache, I can't imagine being able to be so precise. Your work is a pleasure to see. I hope you post more photos.

Allan

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Hello unplugged,
..not quite Germany, but nearby in Austria. Now and them I had some demand for these interesting type of work. This coat of arm I had drawn for the client and he wanted it engraved in two sizes, beacuse he sometimes wants a ring on another finger... Her some progression shots.

Attachments

• 00 Küchenmeisterwappen mit Laubkrone.jpg
    00 Küchenmeisterwappen mit Laubkrone.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 01 aufgezeichnet.jpg
    01 aufgezeichnet.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 02a erster Schild vertieft.jpg
    02a erster Schild vertieft.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 02b den zweiten Ring grob vorarbeiten.jpg
    02b den zweiten Ring grob vorarbeiten.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 03 Krone graviert.jpg
    03 Krone graviert.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 04 probieren.jpg
    04 probieren.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 05 fertige Gravur gesiegelt.jpg
    05 fertige Gravur gesiegelt.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 06 die Ringoberseite.jpg
    06 die Ringoberseite.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 07 die Gravur am kleinen Ring.jpg
    07 die Gravur am kleinen Ring.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 22

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
Here is another sample. This was done for an old family with a history back to the 14th century. The seal body was made to look similar to old Gothic shapes, was modeled in wax and cast in bronce. The design of the seal the customer did himself. It also resembled the Gothic style, on the picture of my workplace there is a photo and the drawing. The was an easier job, as the size was really big, compared to a ring plate.

Attachments

• bronce seal stamp.jpg
    bronce seal stamp.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 01 workplace with tools.jpg
    01 workplace with tools.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 19
  • seal.jpg
    seal.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Siegel 2.jpg
    Siegel 2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 20
  • Siegel.jpg
    Siegel.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 19

unplugged

Sorry for not contributing earlier but I've looked over your photos and they are fantastic. I used to do a lot of crest work but as I aged I gave it up to an apprentice. The detail and precision needed became more than I cared to handle.

But your work is above and beyond; and the photos showing the progression of the work is really amazing. A lot of the coat of arms work on line is impressive but I really think that most of is computer generated because there are elements that are too good, too flat, especially in the lettering of the motto banner. I suppose there are some skilled engravers who are able to refine the machine layouts and make them look completely hand done. But there are not a lot of those on line. Most of them look flat and completely computer generated. Your ring is dynamic and looks like it was engraved by a human.

But what really amazed me is the face on the crest.The face must be insanely hard to carve but the mustache, I can't imagine being able to be so precise. Your work is a pleasure to see. I hope you post more photos.

Allan
Hello Allan,
thank you very much for the compliments. Regarding the coat of arms engravings shown online : If I could, I would also prefer to engrave fonts by machine . . .
My point is that I prefer organic shapes. And if you know the tricks, a face is not that hard to engrave - half-round gravers for forehead, nose cheeks and chin and one cut with the pointed graver per side of the beard. Using a microscope with 10x enlargement and 20 cm working distance.
For the photos of the seal engraving that I have posted, I have specially obtained the permission of the customer - I do not want to post more photos of seal engravings here at this time.
Instead, I can soon show photos of flat engravings that I have engraved for the private environment.
One last note for today : for the translation of my texts from German to English (and vice versa) I use "Deepl" - if my texts contain major errors, I am grateful for a correction.
Greetings from Germany

Latest posts

Sponsors