Question: scroll cutting & shading practice???

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Sam what did happen to the scroll cutting and shading was this going to be each month or did it just die a death would be great if we could get it going again I think lots of people would also like it that's if you or some of the other top cutters have time ???
Ray

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam that would be excellent maybe some of the other pro engravers may send you a few drawings as well to keep it going each month so the job is shared.

Ray

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
A "christmasgift" so we have something to work on the last days of this year:biggrin::biggrin:
My gravers and my vise are ready............:graver::happyvise:

Jørn-Ove

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Yes - Sam I have "tried" to cut the first several practices and thanks to all for the practice samples. These are getting a little old, cutting them in them in reverse helped. I would like to try some new designs(not necessarily more difficult) adding interest. I am sure as JJ and others have said practice, then practice some more, practice until it is automatic. So all is not lost but it would be nice. Again Thanks to all who sent practices in for us to sweat over. Merry Christmas to all. Roger

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
hey Guys,

How about combining two threads? While not truly typical scrollwork why not learn to draw oak leaves and create a practice plate template? Instead of pressing Sam for artwork why not have those who have interest draw a basic design and submit it here in this thread? If you want a Master engraver to have a hand in it perhaps Sam or other Masters will be willing to correct or offer advice to make the submission more 'professional'. As art starts with design it may be a good idea to start there and as it has been said so many times one of the most important aspects of mastering engraving is drawing this may be a good way to gain some experience and advice along with some cutting and shading practice.

Bob

mrthe

Will be great have more, all the way i see here someone new user that haven't do the firsts ones i higly reccomend do it first, are very usefull and fun to do and you will learn a lot.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
I`m one of those(newbies).

I`have been searching the forum, and the last couple of weeks I found and tried to engrave both ("fleur_de_lys" and the "C"). They was really fun to engrave and thank you all for using effort and time to create this practiceplates for us newbies.

I haven`t found more of those in here. If there is, give me a hint, and I will practice and cut, and practice again:graver:

Sorry if I was pressing someone with my former post. It was really not my intention.

I also understand that I have to draw and create my own designs, but again, as a newbee I`m impatient to learn cutting. ;)Really hope you all understand.:eek:

This is a fantastic forum and I hope that I also some day can contribute to this forum. For now I`m only learning......:)

Merry Christmas to you all, Jørn-Ove

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Try redrawing Sam's first outline draw it until u can draw it by heart. Look at how everything flows and is placed don't look at the outline as a whole. Look at each individual curve and s . I know you want to learn cutting but study how and why its drawn . Flow, balance, on the first post with Sam's outline others posted some great examples of how to further the outline with different versions of folds and shading. Just my two cents

Last edited:

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Adder
The controversy over copying others work has been going on since the birth of time.
Every master of any discipline started out copying his or her mentor/heroe's work. Learning how each brushstroke/chisel cut was performed, BEFORE finding their own distinctive style. Just like when you were in grade school and learned to print then write cursive. You had to copy someone else's work until you understood what you were doing.
What chaps peoples ... , is later on when you copy that painting/engraving and try to pass it off as your original concept.
Try various styles and in doing so tweek them here and there and before long you will have your own .
Frank Hendricks, one of the all time greats and the mentor to many past and present engravers, said that if you run into a mental block do Nimsche and you won't be wrong. Pick up a copy of Nimsche off of Amazon for around a 100 USD and later a copy of Roger Bliele's American Engravers of the 21st Century .

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for all the great tips. I will be drawing and I`m doing it almost every day, but haven`t "got it right" yet. But it will....:thumbsup:, I hope....:eek:

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Well u can look at my old posts at my attempts at drawing and will find a lot of good advice I was given on what to do and not do. Happy drawing and Merry Christmas

Last edited:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Adder, I did not mean nor intend for anyone to feel they were asking too much of Sam, however he is just like you and I, his time and energy is limited. While cutting is the fun part for many especially in the beginning the real depth of satisfaction in art is creation, including the 'art' of engraving. If you are an artist you will quickly tire of copying, it will become a chore rather than a pleasure. Conceiving and drawing your own designs will take you where copying never will. I understand many think it is very difficult to do, it is like all things there is a process that will work for you, you will need to find it though. If it does not come naturally to you it may not be found if you do not seek it. I suggested oak leaf designs because it narrows the need for concept and its design is not as rigidly enforced by those who have preconceived ideas as to what 'scrollwork' is. I know it is difficult to offer your work, your art, only to have others draw red lines through it like it is wrong, your art cannot be wrong it may not please others or you but it is not wrong. Look at your work as incomplete rather than ill-conceived or incorrect, as refinement is a requirement for all stages of all processes of artwork, it falls complete out of very, very few. This may not be the time or venue you wish to use but if want help it must start somewhere.

Bob