scope

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
I’d think it’s fairly straightforward. Choose magnification, focus, view . Nikon usually decent glass.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i,ve never met a "nikon" i didn't like. compound scopes, binos, cameras, even microtomes. all good stuff

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
I wondered if anybody as the post say's had any experience with this scope......................I know how to use them

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
I wondered if anybody as the post say's had any experience with this scope......................I know how to use them
No offense meant , but frankly it comes down to the glass quality . experience, you mean like compared to other microscopes? It’s all about the glass

papart1

I'm gathering NO one has seen/used the posted microscope.............

T.G.III

Nikon makes good stuff, their camera's etc are well made.

The things that stand out for me are that there is no model number visible in the picture, no dimensions on the objective lens, these are important in searches as you'll want to be able to search for the parts required to make it able to do the work your asking of it, also you can look up general overall reviews for the scope to see if they are holding up longevity wise to use and abuse, this needs to be done before you purchase.

As was stated earlier, lighting is going to be the biggest factor, right after how the unit was cared for in it's working life.

I'm using a used Olympus SZ40 from ebay purchased some years back, are the optics up to a Zeiss or newer high end scope, nope, that said with enough light pointed at the ball vise I can see as well as is needed.

You posted your question on a Friday evening, many people are out enjoying their weekend if weather is permitting, give it some time.

papart1

TG............this was on a local selling group for 50.00, I contacted nikon and the best they can do is late 40 early 50's. Probly used for bomb sights. The model is likely smz -10. Needs cleaning...........not an issue as I was trained in the army as a fire control instrumentation tech. The rep from Oh. also said finding a boom stand would not be an issue. Probably a lot of the people here on the cafe were not even born then. For 50......it would worth the risk, awaiting word from the seller. Thanks for the response. Rob

T.G.III

Thing is, as well as its made and all you're most likely looking at a $50.00 paperweight if you cannot find a barlow lens to increase working distance, just a thought.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I’ve made Barlow lenses for my scopes before. For a Olympus.. and maybe the other one was even a Nikon.. can’t remember the exact specs, but I think it was a -3 corrective lens from an eye glasses place, fit into a pvc fitting that I reshaped to fit the objective. .. have done the same , just replacing a 2x lenses in a proper Barlow with the .5 equivelant.
I’d say 50 is worth the risk

papart1

thanks Chu........am waiting on a inexpensive stand with a 50mm hole to set up, a light also

papart1

It does, hence the boom stand..........and light, the obj. is about 6-7.5" so hopefully won't need any one different. Thanks Ralf..............it's exactly the model. I'm stickin with what the rep said SMZ -10 And by the way I give 40 for it

Latest posts

Sponsors