Savage Project

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
Here is an update on the savage 99 Project.
Shading has started and things are coming to life.
[/IMG]

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I love seeing this piece. It reminds me that I don't always have to used 30 lines to shade a single leaf to achieve a good result and pleasing look. Consistency and quality of line are just as important and evident here.
Nice gun!
Layne Z

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fine Job. Cut well and consistently. Design is not common on this type firearm and is quit refreshing to see such an approach. Asked Ray Viramonteze about the fine to super fine shading at a gun show once and he mentioned that he has noted that American buyers seem to prefer work that shows its "bling" from a distance. They seem to prefer five to ten foot woos and ahs over super fine shading. Told me that he has often seen buyers bypass the supper fine shading and move on and contract with other engravers who offer what I would call the Lynton Mackenzie shading approach. Advise I have taken to heart. Don't do a lot of super fine shading, Just try to put fewer lines positioned and cut correctly. I try to study this style the most. Fred

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fred, could you post some pictures, what are you talking about, please. (...he has noted that American buyers seem to prefer work that shows its "bling" from a distance ...)
I do not understand what does "bling" mean, please (answer for ESL only, please)

Thank you

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vlad, My shop is torn up for construction at this time but I will refer you to the true master of what I am trying to show. http://www.engraverscafe.com/showth...s-personal-knife-engraved-by-Lynton-MacKenzie
Notice that there are generally three, sometimes four lines cut either side of center on a leaf. What might appear as supper fine shading is actually a simple roll of the tool to widen the cut and give the illusion of great depth. blow up the knife bolster and actually count the number of cuts and you will see what Lynton could accomplish.
Bling means literally sparkle but I actually meant show off because this piece is probably blackened or inked but it may not be and Lynton achieved the darkness with is cuts (the ideal I guess but I have to ink) Fred

Sponsors