Sam's new DVD - Engraving Scrollwork - Start to Finish

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Entering the world of engraving presents us with a huge learning curve, which involves either an apprenticeship with a working engraver, or more commonly,
hours of research into methods and equipment! This is then followed by days & days spent learning through trial & error.

Provide a tutorial DVD that offers quality information with concise presentation & you can be sure that it is going to become a ‘must-have’ for anyone interested in developing their engraving technique.

Sam Alfano has done this yet again! This time, releasing another DVD that concentrates on all aspects of cutting scroll-work.

Covering everything from work holding, through layout and engraving to shading and stippling – as well as tips on lighting, scribing & beveling.
As the title suggests, it really does cover the whole topic - start to finish in a friendly and easily comprehended format.

My particular favourite is Sam's reference to ‘Sellotape’ for us folks across the pond.
One of the more frustrating issues for non-U.S. citizens, are the differences in the brand names used for products. Whilst you guys might say, 'you need such & such a widget', we are left wondering what on earth is the UK equivalent.
So, my thanks to Sam for saving me a little time on the ‘Sellotape’ front! :)

Best used by an initial viewing (or two), before returning to dip into a chapter and concentrate on the elements.

This is a great stand alone DVD, however, when bought as an companion to Sam’s sharpening and scroll drawing dvds, it provides any engraver with a comprehensive overview of the essential techniques of hand-engraving.

Everyone will benefit in some way from watching this, but for the novice, it's an absolute must to own and have as a reference.

Thoroughly recommended! :thumbsup:

Thanks Sam.

Jo

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks for the great review, Jo! Much appreciated, and I'm glad you liked the reference to Sellotape :) I "discovered" Sellotape on my trip to London last September and it's great stuff. Not only that, but it comes in full 1-inch width as well as 3/4"! Abigail think I'm weird (and she's right), but I always get excited when I find a new tape for transferring that works exceptionally well.

Thanks again for your review and for taking the time to post it for the members :thumbsup:

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
I got Sam's new DVD ( BUT I have all Sam's dvd's & downloads :) :) ............
Although my classes are Basic Motorcycle, & Kustom Kulture, Style engraving.....I have been showing all my students his dvds & encourage them to buy them & take their work to a new level when their ready..............

This new one is over the top in my opinion & I'll most definatly be promoting it to my students....

Thanks Sam..... Good Stuff.. :)

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the great review, Jo! Much appreciated, and I'm glad you liked the reference to Sellotape :) I "discovered" Sellotape on my trip to London last September and it's great stuff. Not only that, but it comes in full 1-inch width as well as 3/4"! Abigail think I'm weird (and she's right), but I always get excited when I find a new tape for transferring that works exceptionally well.

Thanks again for your review and for taking the time to post it for the members :thumbsup:

Sam, where is the best place for me to get your new DVD - Start to finish scrollwork? I'll buy it direct if it's better for you on the sale, or you can point me to a link that works for you. Thanks!
br.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
I can guarantee you won't regret getting this DVD, BR.
It really is a must for anyones collection.

And a picture really does paint a thousand words! :)

All the best,

Jo

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
I can guarantee you won't regret getting this DVD, BR.
It really is a must for anyones collection.

And a picture really does paint a thousand words! :)

All the best,

Jo

I appreciate your recommendation. It's nice to have a secure feeling about the training materials that are available. The input from the forum here has always been spot on.

Another benefit that I have is that I already own Sam's "Drawing Scrolls" DVD. As with anything, teaching methods vary and students perceive in different ways. Sam's presentation is exceptionally well done, in my opinion. He's a descriptive teacher and relates the background and relation of each technique so a student understands it on the surface level, and the conceptual and design levels as well.

I find that I really enjoy his teaching and methods.

I'm not qualified to review... anything (lol.) hand-engraving wise, but my recommendation to noobs like myself is that Sam's training materials are invaluable.

Thanks again, Joanne, for your help and input. Time is precious in our busy days and I always sincerely appreciate the help from the top level of engravers here on the forum.

Happy Holiday!
br.