Safety gear question

Cmason16

What respirators or filter masks are being used when grinding and sharpening graver blanks?

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Do Not just tough it out. Carbide gravers have a cobalt binder which can cause severe respiritory problems. Some people can be quite immune to effects of grinding dust, but for others the effects will be severe and irreversible. Even if you are grinding hss or standard graver blanks then use as a minimum a paper type mask and safety goggles. How many of you experienced engravers have little grey/ grayish blue spots under your skin particularly around the knuckle area. Ever wondered what this is? It is the slow accumulative effect of grinding dust.

Use protection each and every time you grind.
:biggrin:
This last sentence applies to your work life and personal life!!!!!!!!!!

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Quite right about the lapidary grinder silverchip. Great idea too. I should have been more specific.I was refering to bench grinders fitted with carborundum wheels or similar for the preliminary shaping of blanks. The dust thrown out can be quite consideable.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
most grinding i do is wet. when grinding with the big bench grinder, there's very little to deal withj as this grinding is done with just a very light touch, thereby generating very little dust.

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
I probably should, but I don't wear respirator when grinding gravers. I only use HSS, and use a low speed diamond wheel so I don't think it's TOO bad for me. A couple ideas though:
1. my bench grinder is on a portable stand, I just take it outside. Not always practical, but I don't want abrasive dust settling all over my bikes.
2. I use a "Rz Mask" (rzmask.com) at work when doing dusty or stinky things. I find it more comfortable than the disposable paper ones.
3. My buddy has a craftsman auto switch or equivalent hooked to his table saw and shop vac. When he turns the saw on, the shop vac automatically turns on. That might be a solution if you don't want to mess with a mask. Shop vac sells filters that catch drywall dust, it ought to work on grinder dust too.