Rolling Mill

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Does anyone know where I can get a decent rolling mill for converting custom alloy ingots into wire small enough to draw. I'm not trying to break the bank, but I also don't want a piece of junk.

maplesm

Elite Cafe Member
I looked at used ones and the ones from India but bought a Durston. Best thing I could have done

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For breaking down wire ingots a PEPE wire rolling mill is plenty good enough. You can make your own ingot mold out of mild steel.I have been making my own wire and sheet for some time now and think there is some advantage to having what you need at your fingertips when you need it. If you need some help with how to, just ask. Glad to help.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I bought a cheap one...it broke in 2 months. The manufacturere wouldn't warrant it, but the ebay seller did. Then I bought a Durston from Rio Grande. Used it hard for 2 years, and again a piece broke. Rio sent me the replacement part for free. The gentleman that owns Durston in the UK was prepared to do that as well, if Rio didn't have the part.

DURSTON!!! It isn't expensive, it works.

Silberschweif

Elite Cafe Member
I like the Dinkel K65 but a Durston works also very fine. It's better to buy a 20 Years old pro mill than a cheap new one for the same price. If it's the old one a little rusty you can use a piece of a broomstick and sandpaper to sand both together by turning the mill. Sorry about my english

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
I have the Dinkel myself, but my experience: The cheap ones don't work well, and if if you aren't going to use it alot, it's a really just a very large paperweight in the middle of a space-pressed shop!

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy hours/access at Metalwerx or Artisian's Asylum, use theirs and put up with a bit of travel and aggravation. I notice you're nearish to Austin -- bet you could find a similar place there and not break the bank.

If you find the need for one increases, you could always buy then. The good (and bad) news is that the resale value on on the better used rolling mills is excellent. It seems like a barrier to getting into one at the right price, but you'll definitely get most of your money back out of it if you sell.

Good luck - Bob

phil

Elite Cafe Member

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
There is a company on the internet and ebay called Gold Machinery. They aren't the cheapest but are very reliable and only carry used product in decent shape. http://goldmachinery.com

They are *certainly* reliable about some things. Rumor has it they were the actual inventor of the famed color of machine paint known around these parts as "AL BABIN BATTLESHIP GREY". Gold has been buyin' US manufacturers out for pennies on the dollar for years.

Latest posts

Sponsors