Ring fixtures

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,I am messing about with some rings and purchased the GRS inside ring holder. It works very well but at times feels a bit spongy when cutting background areas.Maybe due to the plastic ring holders :thinking:

So I would appreciate it if people would note how they hold their rings for engraving.

The fixtures I have seen on the web are the GRS fixture (what I have now),the Orbital ring fixture on the Enset site, The Ring Genie,and the leather jaws in the GRS accessory set for the Magna block (that I also have).

The Ring Genie seems to have way more measuring capacity than I need but if it is rock solid it still would be considered.

Might be the leather jaws from GRS are the way to go but any information would improve my capacity to chose correctly.

Information on a fixture I have not even seen is a possibility,I have noted that many times there are things out there that I don't see in a search that are being used by everybody and I am just not aware of the fixture.

I don't expect people to rack up too much time on this but a bit of guidance would help me to chose a better method if there is one.

Thanks for any assistance.

scott99 :tiphat:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have the older GRS ring holder, the new GRS ring holder, and the Ring Genie.

The newer GRS holder is great if you want portability and something quick. It's a tremendous improvement over the older version.

The Ring Genie is larger, a bit less portable (but that is a nice case) but it is just rock solid and provides a lot of extra capabilities. Not only can you use the little built in marker for getting a straight line, the additional measuring / marking system is extremely handy. Setting it to move by clicks you can subdivide a ring just about any way you want.

The ability to set the tension lets you use it almost like a hand turned lathe - especially handy in cutting border lines.

The leather jaws on the standard vise accessory set are ok if you want to work on one particular spot (like stone setting) but not so good if you're working your way around the ring.

I'm sure others will chime in with their opinions of the various systems.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Scott,

Since I am the inventor of the Ringenie and the Orbital I will answer this question like this. The reason I decided to go to metal collets was for the reason you stated. . Plastic collets are fine for a lot of things like drilling and such. When it comes to hammering for setting or sculpting or just engraving in general, the less vibration the better. It would be like trying to forge something on a plastic pad instead of a metal one.

From what you have stated here . I would recommend the orbital since you don't need the layout capability. Plus you have the advantage of being able to hold at multiple angles. The only other system that I know of at the present is one Otto Frei sell that is mfg. by Jura. But with his system you have to buy an entire system . He does use plastic collets but I believe they are a much harder plastic than most. You can get more info on their site.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott, it are these brass collets Chris is talking about, They always fit. I use these too on the ring genie and they also fit the GRS ring holders.

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors