Critique Request Reptilian Scale Border

A few months ago I was inspired by a Colt King Cobra that Garry Beathard engraved scales on.
I really liked what I saw and thought that something like that would be neat to do on a ring.
So after a bit of trying I came up with these reptilian scales.
I still see things I can improve.
I find it very difficult to believe this is not done on a ring before, but I have not seen anything like it.
Maybe it's the simple things that are hard to find out?

JA1.jpg
JA2.jpg
DSC_6216.jpg

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice and cleanly done.
Since you asked for a critique, there are a couple of little tricks you may try to add to the illusion. One is to be sure and bring your shade lines from the tip of each scale and taper them down following the shape. This way they don't look straight across as in the larger ring.
Another is to lean your graver hard away from each scale as you cut it. This is contrary to the way you would cut a leaf. This will give the illusion of more depth and separation between scales.
Here is a sample I did quickly. You can also find Otto Carters work online. He has done some nice scaled derringers. IMG_0875.jpg

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
By the way, Did you cut the border on the side of the ring? It's one I've wanted to try for years and never gotten around to.
Layne

Thanks Layne
as I said there is room for improvement :)
So thanks for the tips.
Yes the nick & round border, I also engraved.
Yeah the thing is of course, that you should find time for such between all the other jobs too;-)

jdogg

My endgame is to do this on my Colt Anaconda... Probably a while to go before I cut her up though. Looks great.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My endgame is to do this on my Colt Anaconda... Probably a while to go before I cut her up though. Looks great.

Jdog

I thought my end game was an engraved glock, sometimes I think I should have just paid for it. Now I'm thousands into tools and it seems like I always need more hahaha.

Saludos,

Carlos

Latest posts

Sponsors