Renaissance wax for tool tip applications...

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I've found Hoppe's No.9 gun solvent to be a good lube for engraving hard guns metal and when drilling & tapping for scope mounting I fonund Hoppe's worked wonders when tapping,I never broke any taps.J.J.

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
"I found Hoppe's worked wonders when tapping,I never broke any taps.J.J. "

Maybe it's just the skill of the operator J.J. - not the lube that's used!

Gordon Alcorn

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Gordon,The operator and the lube work well together I found the information about Hoppe's No.9 for tapping in a book on gunsmithing by P.O.Ackley,just some good advice from an old time gunsmith. J.J.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've never liked lube :mad:, but I only tried it at the very beginning of my engraving career, so maybe I just didn't know enough to give it a good test :thinking:. In any case I found that it removed the feel I had for how deeply I was cutting, and the first thing I knew the graver tip would shoot out of the cut to go skidding across areas better left uncut :eek:. Of course since that time I have also learned not to push the graver, and let the machine cut with my guidance :clapping:, but I don't miss the lube in any case. If the metal is hard to cut, I just bite down on my tongue a bit harder! :biggrin:

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
HI, I always keep a small (3/4 inch)brass cup stuffed with cotton on the bench, add a few drops of Tap Magic and dip the tip of the tool in when you need it. Just make the cotton barely damp.

scott99

Latest posts

Sponsors