Recent progress 1 year in.

Crowman80

Here’s a few pics of recent projects. It is now 12 moths since I first scratched something with intent!!! And some modest progress has been made. I just wish I’d taken this up 25 years ago…… oh well I’ll just have to live till I’m 150 now.
As ever any constructive observations always welcomed and I will endeavour to implement good advice.
IMG_4637.jpeg IMG_4757.jpeg IMG_4744.jpeg

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Nice depiction of the Masonic Compass and Square of witch I have loved since 1984 and the Old English is spot on............nice work mister.............

Crowman80

Nice depiction of the Masonic Compass and Square of witch I have loved since 1984 and the Old English is spot on............nice work mister.............
The symbol is a personal touch for my father in law, who has been as a real father to me over 18 years. and hopefully if I don’t balls it up that drawing will emerge onto the brass fuel cap for his triumph motorcycle.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
The first picture, I think they are floral engraved cuff links.
Very nice engraving.
But the background areas need some more work.
The background is un-evenly textured, if you don't mind my pointing it out.
It's easy for a beginner to overlook the importance of this detail.
You are doing well, just keep it going and improving!
Best regards.
John B.

Crowman80

Very nice engraving.
Best regards.
John B.
Thanks John,
Yes you are right it does look untidy. That was my first attempt at cutting away & stippling background, & if I’m honest I don’t think I went deep enough either. I will endeavour to pay more attention to this. It’s these things that experienced engravers see & point out that help me making steady improvements.

monk

Staff member
The symbol is a personal touch for my father in law, who has been as a real father to me over 18 years. and hopefully if I don’t balls it up that drawing will emerge onto the brass fuel cap for his triumph motorcycle.
cool thing to do

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thanks John,
Yes you are right it does look untidy. That was my first attempt at cutting away & stippling background, & if I’m honest I don’t think I went deep enough either. I will endeavour to pay more attention to this. It’s these things that experienced engravers see & point out that help me making steady improvements.

Hello Crowman 80,
For a first cut away and stippled background you did well. Better than my first attempt!
Just learn to look at your stippled background with your "second day eyes" and the shiners and uneven areas will jump out for you.
As you said, just a bit untidy, and nothing too serious.
You can fix these little problems with ten minutes of rework.
Lets see more of you good work in the future.!.

Davetherave1986

This is awesome man. I'm a beginner and its inspiring to see how good someone can get in a year. Keep it up!

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice engraving.
Best regards.
John B.
Hello John, no disrespect meant but I doubt the average viewer will/ would notice.

T.G.III

:::Pledge Member:::
No disrespect,

This site is not functioning for the average viewer, it is designed and operated for the beginner thru advanced engraver, by pointing out the seemingly insignificant details it allows everyone that views those pictures and related critique to up their game, educated practitioners and consumers are good for business.

I have found that taking a picture of the work and viewing that can be very good at exposing inconsistencies and/or irregularities in the work.

Last edited:

Crowman80

Hello John, no disrespect meant but I doubt the average viewer will/ would notice.
I understand your point, however as a beginner Iam keen to everything to the very best of my ability and strive to get things as spot on as Iam able. My goal is to one day in time make this my career and there is a lot of fierce competition to go up against.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
No disrespect,

This site is not functioning for the average viewer, it is designed and operated for the beginner thru advanced engraver, by pointing out the seemingly insignificant details it allows everyone that views those pictures and related critique to up their game, educated practitioners and consumers are good for business.

I have found that taking a picture of the work and viewing that can be very good at exposing inconsistencies and/or irregularities in the work.
Sure, The 2 images are well above average imho.

gcmeleak

Here’s a few pics of recent projects. It is now 12 moths since I first scratched something with intent!!! And some modest progress has been made. I just wish I’d taken this up 25 years ago…… oh well I’ll just have to live till I’m 150 now.
As ever any constructive observations always welcomed and I will endeavour to implement good advice.
View attachment 52177 View attachment 52178 View attachment 52179
Your cufflinks brought a instant smile to my face. Good job keep it up

Latest posts

Sponsors