Critique Request Recent “realistic” work

This is my latest work on a stainless steel tattoo machine frame.
I’m trying to improve the smoothness of my shading and make it flow more with the dimension rather than just straight crosshatching.
Any advice is welcome!

Attachments

• 3CABC2AB-EA22-4F55-86B9-FC0C66527BE4.jpeg
    3CABC2AB-EA22-4F55-86B9-FC0C66527BE4.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 176
  • A98629AD-7EA8-4646-A2F5-460DB5102FC5.jpeg
    A98629AD-7EA8-4646-A2F5-460DB5102FC5.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 172

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My eye is drawn to and dislikes the 90 degree intersections in the shading or cross-hatching in the eye cavities. I am not instantly coming up with what would be better.

It's great work

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dani. You are looking at these photos in an extreme large state. As such you csn see how the detail is done. I would assume at it’s full small size these all blend together in a very subtle way to create the shading and form. Engraving is meant to be looked with the naked eye. You look at it under magnification to see how it is done. You are not making a photograph.
That being said, I like what I see and it is skillfully done With a delicate touch

My eye is drawn to and dislikes the 90 degree intersections in the shading or cross-hatching in the eye cavities. I am not instantly coming up with what would be better.

It's great work
Thanks! That is the part I’m struggling with as well.
It’s difficult for me to build up the darker shadows without having multiple intersections.
But the more intersections I do the messier it seems to feel.
However I see the old banknote engravers do it without having the intersections.
I’m thinking to replicate a couple of those style peices in practice plates to see if I can understand the style of shading.

Dani. You are looking at these photos in an extreme large state. As such you csn see how the detail is done. I would assume at it’s full small size these all blend together in a very subtle way to create the shading and form. Engraving is meant to be looked with the naked eye. You look at it under magnification to see how it is done. You are not making a photograph.
That being said, I like what I see and it is skillfully done With a delicate touch
Yes the entire engraved surface is around 1-2 inches across.
It’s relatively small.
However I am struggling with ways to make the smooth areas more seemless.
I’m planning to replicate some older banknote style engravings in practice to see if I can better understand the way it’s properly done.
Thanks!

teroon

It took me a long time to see the skull, and something seems wrong when I look at it. Not that it is not correct anatomically more like....proportions and composition thing.

EngraverHand

Elite Cafe Member
Looks quite amazing to me and a good technique. If something the under jaw is maybe a bit light compared to the rest or the skull.. but I think the composition with the scrollwork looks great! :)

Latest posts

Sponsors