Rapid-tap

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
HI, I know everybody has a cutting solution on a bit of cotton ball stuck into some sort of little container on their bench. But I have been experimenting with a bunch of stuff and believe I have found a product that works just a bit better.:banana:

RAPID-TAP is made for Tapping threads of course. But just a tiny touch from a cotton ball with a few drops of tapping lube on it (its very thin) and everything works better.

Smooth cuts, NO GALLING even when working with sticky stuff like Leaded brass or free machining materials.:clapping:

Now I know people use from Kerosine to spit for lube, and I am sure some use no cutting lube at all. But I think if you try this product you will be surprized at the change in cutting.:shock::fastgraver:

Most may know this already but this is for the people that don't.:tiphat:

scott99:happyvise:

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
That sounds a lot like Tap Magic that many engravers have used for years.

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
I am sure both products are very much the same but I think Rapid tap is slightlty thinner.

I thought everybody might already have this information, but I didn't, and thought there may be some others just like me. Trying fluid after fluid and possibly never trying tapping lube.

Sorry if am too redundant.

scott99

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use Tap Magic, but I'm open to trying something new. Is it cheaper? Does thinness help in some way?

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
No sorry, the cost is about the same,but it sure works great.

I guess I was reinventing the wheel here, I didn't mean to do that but the only lube information I had was kerosine and I didn't like that. So I tryed a bunch of stuff and came out the other end with tapping fluid.

I suppose its always the small everyday stuff that never gets passed on well, a person doing something uses it everyday without a thought but it still remains imprortant to a newcomer.Its way too hard to tell all the details of a familiar job.

Again sorry to be reinventing long known stuff, hate to waste time or space.

scott99

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Scott,

It's NEVER a waste of time. Somebody may not know - and once in great while it's sumthin' none of us ever thought about!

For the record I use 1/2 Tap and 1/2 kerosene. Kinda stretches the cost out. I do use more than most.

Make sure you actually read the contents list. Older Tap Magic contained some really nasty stuff...

Brian

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Monk,

You are an adult and your choice is your choice...

But.... I've posted this on 5 different forums at one time or another, maybe you missed it?

I had a student once upon a time who worked for a company that owned a research lab for lubricants. When I told people in a class about the lethal effects of oil of wintergreen, he jumped in and told us we that might as well use spit or snot as a lubricant. Those last 7 seven words are his exactly.

He said that any "lubricating" qualities of the stuff were so minimal that they would almost be considered imaginary in his lab. The stuff was never intended for that purpose. Check the manufacturers suggested uses.

Near as I have ever been able to tell; some jeweler, engraver. or watchmaker in the last century saw the word "oil" on a bottle and started using it 'cause it smelled so nice... and the usage spread.

Somewhere a catalog jewelers supply salesman saw it (or smelled it) while visiting in someones shop. The rest is - as they say, "history". It became a tradition. Victor Vasquez (who started me) used the stuff for a while. I think I remember Francis Harry and Dan Murray using it too? We didn't know better back then...

The stuff will blind you - permanently - if it gets in your eyes. It's poisonous, it goes through skin, AND it's a carcinogen. Children think it smells like peppermint candy and try to drink it. Definitely not safe to have around if you have cats, dogs, young children or grandkids hanging out in your shop and step out for moment.

Research it yourselves, don't just take my word for it. Go look up a coupla the MSDSs on it. (from the gaulthereia plant leaf or synthetic methyl salicylate)

Have some fun. Ask a company involved in making "real" metal to metal cutting lubricants... especially if you need to record a laugh track for some purpose. :)

Brian

Last edited: