Ramblings of a Rookie

AJB

I started engraving six months ago after many years of interest in the art.

However, before putting a graver to metal, I spend at least a year drawing scrolls, and reading anything I could find on the internet.

For others just beginning this journey, I’d like to share some of the bits of information that I have learned. These gleanings are probably second nature to the seasoned veteran engravers, but elusive to those just starting out.

First and foremost, equipment really matters. I began with a DIY pneumatic handpiece (that I am still using) and an optivisor, and my engraving was absolutely horrible.

When I added a ball vise, the quality of my engraving took a giant leap forward. That isn’t to say that the vise suddenly turned me into a “real engraver”. I just allowed me to start engraving smooth flowing lines.

The next giant leap came when I added a microscope. With the added magnification, my shading suddenly became throughly visible while being cut, and the improvement was dramatic. Younger eyes may get by without a microscope, but I couldn’t.

Along the journey, I also figured out that a sharp graver and a delicate touch were essential.

Even a slightly dull graver will jump out of the cut, and skid along the metal with horrible affect. Once I learned to recognize when a graver was getting dull, errors diminished.

As to a light touch, it seems that trying to muscle the graver always results in substandard cuts. I had to learn that the hand should only guide a pneumatic engraver, and not push it more than is necessary to keep it in the cut.

While I spent a lot of time leaning to draw scrolls, it became evident that my initial designs were lacking. Simply stated, if a design isn’t conducive to shading it will never work. Every element of a drawing has to be conducive to shading, and if it is even a little lacking there is no way to make it look good.

I have a few more revelations to share, but since this post is getting rather long, I stop here with the hope of critique from the experts.

wowilson

Elite Cafe Member
I started engraving six months ago after many years of interest in the art.

However, before putting a graver to metal, I spend at least a year drawing scrolls, and reading anything I could find on the internet.

For others just beginning this journey, I’d like to share some of the bits of information that I have learned. These gleanings are probably second nature to the seasoned veteran engravers, but elusive to those just starting out.

First and foremost, equipment really matters. I began with a DIY pneumatic handpiece (that I am still using) and an optivisor, and my engraving was absolutely horrible.

When I added a ball vise, the quality of my engraving took a giant leap forward. That isn’t to say that the vise suddenly turned me into a “real engraver”. I just allowed me to start engraving smooth flowing lines.

The next giant leap came when I added a microscope. With the added magnification, my shading suddenly became throughly visible while being cut, and the improvement was dramatic. Younger eyes may get by without a microscope, but I couldn’t.

Along the journey, I also figured out that a sharp graver and a delicate touch were essential.

Even a slightly dull graver will jump out of the cut, and skid along the metal with horrible affect. Once I learned to recognize when a graver was getting dull, errors diminished.

As to a light touch, it seems that trying to muscle the graver always results in substandard cuts. I had to learn that the hand should only guide a pneumatic engraver, and not push it more than is necessary to keep it in the cut.

While I spent a lot of time leaning to draw scrolls, it became evident that my initial designs were lacking. Simply stated, if a design isn’t conducive to shading it will never work. Every element of a drawing has to be conducive to shading, and if it is even a little lacking there is no way to make it look good.

I have a few more revelations to share, but since this post is getting rather long, I stop here with the hope of critique from the experts.
I can't argue with any of that. It sounds like you are figuring it out. Congrats.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
I can't argue with any of that. It sounds like you are figuring it out. Congrats.
One thing I would add that doesn't often get mentioned is make you surface as smooth as possible. Cutting is easier the smoother the surface. I think I've started making more progress since I started finishing down to at least 600 but even better 2000. Details are easier too. Control of the cut improves.

AJB

Thanks for adding surface preparation to the lessons learned Crossbolt. That is something that I had not thought about, and that I need to pay more attention to!

AJB

To further my “Ramblings of a Rookie” list of things I have learned, it seems that the pesky curl that always gets in the way can tell a lot.

The curl seems to be best indicator of the depth and uniformity of a cut. By paying attention to the curl during the cut, it is easy to see if the cut is to the desired depth, and if the depth of the cut is uniform over its length.

With shade lines uniformity is not the standard, but the principle is the same. For a shade line, a curl needs to go from very narrow to wide for the proper tapering of the shading. I’m still working to master this skill, but I can now predict how each shade line will look during the cutting process by paying attention to the curl.

One last thing regarding the curl, I’m not sure about this, but I am leaning toward a belief that a curl can also give a clue about the sharpness of the graver. A newly sharpened graver seems to produce nice shinny curls, while a dull graver produces “scratchy” curls.

Again, I’m just a beginner so I hope the experts will jump in with any additional points they may have.

Sponsors