Raised gold inlay

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
How high above the metal surface do you leave raised gold animal inlay? I am shooting for .015. Is that enough?
Thanks. Leland

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I normally use wire for inlaying animals. I use .016" pure gold and it leaves about .008" above the surface of the steel. I cut the outline of the animal ( or other objects) into the steel, and then sculpt the basic shape into the steel prior to cutting the teeth and undercutting the outline. I have always found that to be enough but I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, Sam I have done gold inlay just never left them proud of the metal. This customer wanted raised gold rabbits on 1 side 2 squirrels on the other. I said sure we can do that. We will see.

Attachments

• 61 RABBIT day 3 (2).jpeg
    61 RABBIT day 3 (2).jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 48

EngraverHand

Elite Cafe Member
I normally use wire for inlaying animals. I use .016" pure gold and it leaves about .008" above the surface of the steel. I cut the outline of the animal ( or other objects) into the steel, and then sculpt the basic shape into the steel prior to cutting the teeth and undercutting the outline. I have always found that to be enough but I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
I have never tried that technique before today after reading about it yesterday.. and if I understood you right, it worked very well I have to say :) The leaf is about 6 x 9 mm and the overlay is copper wire, but still.. :)

Thanks for sharing that! :)

IMG_4001.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors