Questions regarding silent air compressors

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have two silent compressors. One is the silentaire 50-24-val, the other is another brand (not sur who the mfg is). The silentaire is brand new. The other one I've had for about a year. I've had lots of issues with it. It seems to be consuming massive quanties of oil. I'm getting alot of oil and other liquid(?) in the air tank, regulators and filters.

My questions are

Is it normal for these machines to consume 24oz of oil in 4-5 months?
How often do you change or add oil to your compressors? I'm running them at least 3-4 hours per day 5-6 days a week, with some 8-10 hour sessions of stone setting and engraving.

The silentaire I have not had long enough to have a problem. All these issues have been with the other machine.

Last edited:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Sounds like you have bad rings and/or cylinder wall damage or possibly a cracked piston. I wouldn't spend money on the head without finding out why it became damaged.

Bob

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bert,

First, my two Sil-Aire compressors have not needed oil for more than five years and seven years....since they were new...are these diaphragm compressors rather than piston/cylinder?

Secondly, by very inexpensive (and noisy) piston/cylinder compressor worked for about 20 years without needing oil until I retired it, still working.

Something must be amiss with our compressor of unknown make?

Rod

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's WAY too much oil consumption. And that oil is ending up in your air tools which is reason enough to trash that thing.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know the distributor of the mystery brand, just not who actually makes it. They've been decent as the head went bad after about 5 months in to it. They sent a replacement. The new is starting to act up. Just added more oil today.

I thought it excessive too. Fortunately, I have a filter and regulator setup on the line so my tools don't appear to be getting the moisture into them as the regulators on the machines are clean. I'm sending the bad parts back. Hopefully they will get it figured out or refundt money.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Is it normal for these machines to consume 24oz of oil in 4-5 months?

let's just say that if your compressor was a car, you wouldn't be able to see what you were engraving thru the thick blue smoke billowing from the tailpipe. ;-)

Latest posts

Sponsors