Questions about Sam's New Video

rsharrard

I recently sent Sam a couple questions about his New Video, as he suggested I should have posted them to the main forum for the benifit of others, rather than as a private message. So this Message is in reply to that suggestion.

I asked Sam if the view I was seeing in the video was close to what he was actualy seeing thru his Microscope. This is an area that I am struggling with, especially when it comes to shading. I either get too much magnification and while I think I'm gettting some great shade lines they are actually very week when viewed without the scope, and visa versa. By judging from the size of the Knife bolster, and his graver tip, if the video was accurate, it gave me something to gauge my own view with.

I also asked him if he used the same 120 graver used for the backbone and details, was also used for the shading; also, why he used the 105 for the boarder instead of the 120.

Here was the reply:

This is the message that was sent:
Hi Robin. What you're seeing in the video is 98% of what I'm seeing through the scope. I try to keep the camera cropped so it's as close as possible to my view, so for all practical purposes what you're seeing is exactly what I'm seeing. As for the amount of zoom you should be using, I tell my students to use whatever they need to get the job done. Most of the time I'm in the middle ranges and zoom in and out as needed. There is no one-size-fits-all for everyone, so zoom to whatever gets the job done.

Yes, I used the same 120° graver for the shading. My choice of the 105° for borders is that it's a bit safer when cutting straight lines. Safer meaning that the 120 can cut really wide if your control falters, while a 105 is far more forgiving if it does.

I'm glad you liked the visual quality of my new video which I was very pleased to record in 1080p HD.

Actually, I wish you would have taken these questions to the forum so others could benefit from the discussion :)

Cheers / ~Sam

Thank you Sam! :tiphat:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks Robin :) I hope I answered your questions. Let me know if you need clarification on anythying.

Sponsors