Question on sharpening an 120°

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a dual angle and the GRS powerhone.
Of course I know how to sharpen a 90° and a 120°, Sam explained it very clear.
I also know how to calibrate the dual angle etc.
I've also reshaped an 90° to an 120° .

But, the little piece in the dual angle tool, where you put the graver, has an angle of 90° and a smaller gap, probably for the onglette.

On the other side, the thing that moves when you fasten the graver, has an angle of 120°, I think.
But to me it seems that this part is not calibrated.

So the 120° graver that I made of a 90° graver fits very well in position of the dual angle tool, because it fits on the 90° part of the graver.

But I also bought some 120° gravers from the GRS toolshop, and to me it looks that they fits better upside down. To me it seems that is almost impossible to fasten a 120° the same way than a 90°

Or is there someting I didn't read in the manual? :eek:

If I've not made myself clear, I will post a photo of it, as I'm not used to write English but Flemish.

arnaud

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well if I understand the ? the moving part of the clamping does have a larger angle dont know what it is but I think the reason is to allow different size stock to be clamped

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Arnaud,
The dual angle fixture has a 90 degree cutout at the bottom. I am assuming the gravers you are sharpening are square (except for the point). Where the contact is made with the graver is with one of the four edges in that groove. I find it works best with the heel located at the bottom or 6 o'clock position.

To sharpen the face, rotate the fixture to the 0 position 180 degrees from the heel and the post angle at the desired face angle (such as 45 degrees).

Not sure if I explained it well, but I think the GRS website may have some information and pictures.

Peter

Ross

Arnaud, if you go to GRS tools website youcan find some pictures of their new v point gravers. If I remember right they have a angle grind down about half to three quarters of the way down and a square shank the rest of the way. So you would need to clamp them down on the shank to oreint them or on the angled part I would clamp them and then turn the fixture 180'. I am just a beginner so this is my two cents worth. I hope this is understandable.
Ross

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How long ago did you get the 120 gravers? There was an "old style" 120that was shaped different. The new ones are similar ot the ones you would grind from a 90. If in fact you have the old ones, they are sort of a pain to hold in the sharpener.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I didn't know they have a new 120, cause the old ones pretty much sucked to try and sharpen with the fixture.
Are they like a relief ground 90?

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Mike,
The new ones are shaped from square stock like you would grind yourself. There are a bunch of angles available and for a lazy guy like me, are very handy and not that expensive.
Here's the link..
V-point gravers

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Rex. Didn't know the creatures existed, and they're only a couple bucks more. Not bad at all.

I just got 120 degree gravers and the 120 is cut back 1.25 inches back from point, I don't see where it would be much trouble in a duel angle. The point can be trimed back a quarter of an inch and that should fix the problem without much loss.
Debbie

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've made some illustrations to make myself more clear.
I could not find the 120° gravers that I bought from the Alexandre Toolshop, but I think they come from GRS.

The NEW engravers from GRS have a different profile than mine. And it is clear to me how to put them in the dual angle sharpening system. That because they all have an 90° angle on top.

But it is the one on the bottom that is mine. Is that the old one?

This is the dual angle, I did some Photoshop to make it more clear.

I think I will have to buy the NEW 120° engravers from GRS :(

Arnaud

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes,
You have the old ones. They are harder to sharpen but can still be done. You just need to make sure it sit square in the fixture. Wiggle it while tightening.
The new ones are much easier to use however. The cost isn't that bad and will last a long time.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You could also get the little QC adapter for your dual-angle sharpener. Then you just pop the gravers in and out just like changing them in the handpiece.

One minor pain - you may have to re-orient your gravers in the QC holders to get them to properly zero in the fixture when using the QC adapter - basically you have to make sure they all have the little 'tooth' at either the top or bottom center.

I can't find it online - it's not under 'New Products' or in the 'New Products flyer'.pdf but I got mine in June so they're available. It's not as important for square gravers as it is for flats and other 'hard to index' gravers - which would include your old-style 120's.

The only thing I can think of is to put a small piece of flat mettle on the top to bridge the grove so the flat top of your graver rests on the little piece of mettle instead of being thrown off by the recess on the top and let the 120 degree rest in the bottom for a stable effect you need! I don't know if it will work but try it and get back to me.
The only other thing I can think of is to cut the top to simulate any sort of V to rests in the device, but you would have to be precise on forming that V.
Regards, Debbie

Latest posts

Sponsors