Question for motorcycle parts engravers

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a buddy that wants me to engrave a derby cover for him. I don't think the engraving will be any issue for me. But I want to know if you do anything to prep the metal? Do you have to have the chrome stripped? Then replated?

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
If you cut through the chrome it will be a terrible job. The chrome slithers will be the sharpest little knives that stay on your bench and you will get cut good, they are also hard to get out of your fingers........ Its easier to send to a chrome plater , have them de-plate the piece then polish the piece and engrave, then let them plate it. Have fun!!!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i've done only ones of aluminum. i'd guess cuttin thru chrome would be a bummer, at least for me. i did some extensive work on 2 harley fenders some few years back. fortunately the guy sent them to padukah, kentucky for de-plating. the steel cut very nicely.

Neo Dutch

Elite Cafe Member
Buy a plain alloy one. I get them off eBay but will not pay more than $20. In the US you should be able to find for $5-10. Polish it and then cut it. Let your friend know that he's responsible for it's upkeep. Polished alloy shows you care.

A hint for alloy care is not to use products like Autosol or whatever on the polished part. Use a spray type furniture polish like Mr Sheen instead.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
GTJC460: I Have Cut Literally Hundreds Of Chrome Plated Parts, Both Aluminum And Steel In The Past. The Best To Cut Are The Genuine Harley Davidson Chrome Parts, Because They Do A Triple Chrome Process. This Consists Of A Base Coat Of Copper, Followed By A Coat Of Bright Nickle, Then A Flash Of Chrome To Seal The Nickle Against Tarnish. The Only Parts I Ever Had Peel Or Chip Were Crappy Imported Chinese Parts And Even Then It Was Only Sporadic. I Always Warned My Customers That It Could Happen And I Only Ever Had to Replace One Part And That Was An S&S Chrome Carburetor Cover. I Kept The One That Peeled, Stripped It Myself With Abrasive, Then Polished It Myself, Then Engraved It And Sold It And Still Made a Profit.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Tim,

So you are saying I can get a set of RockerBox covers(That are Chromed) for my 08 Road King and cut them and they shouldn't peel?
What geometry gravers are you using? Can I punch the background? Can you throw a pic up? If this is correct then I will save alot of money this way. Just never heard of anyone except Steeltattoos say they can cut through chrome.

Donny

Neo Dutch

Elite Cafe Member
Having the chrome peel is a risk that you'll have to take. Why you would I don't know. Not when you can buy unchromed stuff really cheap do your work and then get it chromed if you wish.

Not sure how I'd feel if I got to the last hour's work and have some plate peel off potentially ruining the whole job.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the input. My friend is buying one for me to engrave, as he doesn't want to be without his bike while I do the engraving. I told him to get on that has not been chromed.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
GTJC460: I Usually Cut The Chromed Parts With A 90 Degree Square, Then You Can Stipple The Background With A Pointed Carbide Punch, Or To Cover Large Areas Of Background I Used A Carbide Flat Chisel That Is Flat On The End.Use A Good Lubricant, For Cutting . I Always Used WD-40.

Latest posts

Sponsors