Question about polished gravers.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There is an advantage to knocking the burr off the apex.. but other than that it depends if you want a bright finish or if you will blacken your lines. If blackening, prolly 600 is good

Tom White

From my own experience I stop at 600 as most of my work is blackened or blued. Also I have noticed that if I polish and then blue the piece the cuts are shiny and really distracts from the finish in my opinion.
If you are bright cutting silver or gold then polish the face and heels to get the bright finish. In my opinion if you polish other than the face and heels you are wasting your time as these parts of the graver should never touch the finished work.
This is based on my opinions and experience.
Thanks, Tom White
TW Designs

DaveatWeirs

I use mirror polish for engraving silver or gold, anything else like brass or steel and it's almost always a waste of effort.
With brass you get a few nice cuts and then it leaves a buildup on the heel and face that just marr the polished surfaces.
With steel I occasionally use it for lettering, usually on watches. I'll do the engraving in two passes, one at 1600 grit or so to rough out most of the metal and then a pass with a high polish to make it pop. Its very time consuming because not only do you have to cut twice but you usually will have to re-polish the graver a few times. It's only really worth it for lettering and only when the client is very nice and will appreciate it.

Sponsors