question about background textures

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am working on a project that will be relieved background on silver and am wanting to create high contrast on the pieces.What type of texture do you think would work best for holding antique black?Cross hatch single point or stippling or dot or?:tiphat:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave,

Have you tried using the high speed dental hand piece with a Friction Grip 1/16 shank bur "smallest ball ended bur", which is generally sold as 1/4 mm radius, so .5 mm diameter. I incline the handpiece by about 30 degrees or so, and plunge it, gently, into the silver surface of the negative space to create a half-sphere crater, then continue on as if I were punch dot stippling. The field of 'domed reflecting mirrors' so created will bounce the light back in a very different way from your foreground design and with good contrast.

If you choose to try this, and buy some of these wee spherical burs, I have found that quality varies between suppliers, can't remember which manufacture is the best. In the past I have ordered just a few from one dealer but of different manufacturers, and that way you can see which works best. They all cut, but some are less likely to clog and will cut cleanly for a longer time.

Rod

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
After you have lowered your background, I would just stipple it then ink. That is standard practice on what I do. I do prefer more of a sharp stipple point, it seems to give more of a velvety texture.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
make friends with your dentist. the law doesn't allow( at least in pa ) dentists giving away used burs, i get them anyway. the trouble i've found in buying them from dental supply firms, they usually sell them in "8 packs". make a nice someting or other for the doc, your doc may give you 1 or 2 new ones of the size you need. they buy these in quantity, and donating one or two shouldn't ruin their economy.

Latest posts

Sponsors