QC tool adaptor V2

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
hi everybody
ordered one today but got a small question about.. http://www.grstools.com/graver-accessories/quick-change-holders/003-320-V2.html
as the graver is almost never perfectly centered in the qc holder, how do you realize a perfect sharpening on the point with the sharpening fixture?? made a quick plan, the red cross is the center of the holder, the dot is the center of the graver..
how to deal with?:thinking:

Attachments

• qc holder.png
    qc holder.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 212

Dragonsfire

I have often wondered if it really matters if the graver point lines up exactly with the centerline of the blank? After watching Ray C. use Ngraver points, smaller than the 3/32 blanks, in his Lindsey palm control, I wonder if it makes that big a difference. With the facets all ground and a heel being then centered on the face, does it matter if it's a touch off centerline. We're not drilling precise holes?!?! Even with a ground and polished heel off of the centerline, it still should track shouldn't it? I may be so far out in left field on this, but in class and in all of my notes, Ray never seemed to be concerned on this or maybe I should have asked. Eagerly awaiting more input!

Andrew Biggs

Hi Frank

When I place a new graver in the QC holder and it dosn't center properley, then I reshape the bottom of the graver. It only takes a few seconds to set it up. Then I shape the top of the graver.

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i would think conttrol might rear its' ugly head if the point was off center. i'm not really, sure because i take every effort to do proper sharpening from the start.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Like Andrew I was taught that the very first thing you do with a new blank is regrind the bottom, even if it's going to stay at 90.
When you do that, even if your graver point isn't centered on the blank, it is centered on the holder.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I guess I'm missing something. Who cares if the tip is not centered in the QC holder and why do you need a special adapter to sharpen a blank installed in a QC holder? My tips clamp into both my Dual Angle and Lindsay Templates on the graver itself. The QC holder protrudes out the back and doesn't interfere with sharpening and there is still enough extension to make the required length on the Lindsay system. The graver is ground correctly because it's held in the fixture and the QC holder doesn't enter into the process. If the tip is off center in the QC holder, a simple rotational correction of the handpiece in your hand corrects that. Are your tips so short that you can't do this? Where am I wrong?

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's only a problem if you use the dual angle fixture that is specifically made for QC holders. This type does not clamp to the actual graver but the QC holder fits into a "QC" socket on the fixture. It's one of the reasons that I've stayed with the old style dual angle device, even though all my gravers are mounted in QC holders. Note: if the gravers are never moved in the holders from the first time they are sharpened, then it's not a problem with either fixtures.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Neal

Like you, I clamp my graver in dual angle fixture and the QC holder just pokes out the back. So it doesn't matter if the orientation of the graver and QC is slightly out because the hand just makes automatic adjustments to compensate.

However, I've noticed that some (not all) gravers are not always square, so I always reshape the bottom of the 90 degree gravers as a matter of habit. The other angles are always reshaped anyway like a 120 etc.

The first time I ever struck this it drove me nuts. I couldn't figure out why the graver was always off when I sharpened it. It took a while for the light bulb moment to happen. :)

Cheers
Andrew

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
i ve been using same method for years,clamping just the graver.. but while
lurking trough the catalog, i decided to order one.. it s just a question of curiosity i guess... but i do try to use the maximum out of my gravers..
btw.. imho these blank gravers come in a inconvenient lenght...too long for me, got to break off 1 cm for confortable use.. and to short to get 2 out of it.. but that s just personal thought..
soon as i get the adaptor i will try out both methods, adding brass and removing material.. will let know what works out the best..
thanks for your opinions..

Latest posts

Sponsors