Protection question

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Question, how do y'all protect a piece from scratches during engraving, besides the obvious "be real careful". Seems like my Neanderthal hands have a tendency to, leave little careless scratches where I don't intend. I have a nicely polished aluminum harley derby cover to put a club logo on. That is all he wants on it, so there will be lots of open space left to scratch up. I'm not talking fly out deep scratches, just careless dragging the graver type scratches. If he chromes it, will the caroming process cover those up.

Thanks
Todd

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I'll tell you what I do. I first cut the outline of my piece and then I place a piece of packaging tape over the whole thing. Next with a single edge razor blade I carefully cut the tape away from where I need to engrave. That keeps me from cutting into material I don't want scratched. Saves me a lot of burnishing and wasted time and effort.

You can simply place the tape over areas you would expect to slip onto.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Be very careful with a highly polished derby. If you can, tape over any areas you will not be using. I usually do this with painters blue tape. Some projects I tape over completely and then just move the tape in the areas I'm working in at the time. You will also have to be careful about burrs. When they come up and start to curl over you need to be mindful of them not coming down and scratching the metal as you are still cutting. Depending on the aluminum the burrs will break off pretty well, but if not stop and get rid of them before they scratch. The chrome will not cover up anything. If you can see it with the naked eye before the chrome you probably will see it after. The only other way to deal with that is to buff lightly after you engrave. I try not to do this because you can loose detail so be very careful with any buffing - especially if you give it to the chromer and he does it.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On my jewelry engraving, I've started coating the piece with Tom White's transfer solution The white variety when dry, forms a nice layer overthe piece. It's think enough that it keeps the piece protected from minor scratching during the engraving. When I'm finished engraving, I simply swish it around in some acetone then a quick dip in the ultrasonic.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have found the obvious"be real careful" is often the easiest in the long run.
If not, as others have stated, tape works good.

Latest posts

Sponsors