Printable drawings for practice plates

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here are some original drawings I am giving permission to use as practice plate transfers.

Attachments

• student practice plate A4 varied sizes mirrored leaves.jpg
    student practice plate A4 varied sizes mirrored leaves.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Student cafe dont usually cut this bit.jpg
    Student cafe dont usually cut this bit.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Student Cafe A4 varied don't cut the green bits.jpg
    Student Cafe A4 varied don't cut the green bits.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 91

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Dani Girl,

did I understand correctly, when I’m going to shade a leaf, I’m not supposed to make the bevelled outline cuts?

Cheers

Ralf
no, I mean leave some white space where the green is so that when the background is removed the shapes are crisp and clear. I was thinking I should have made that clearer

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
I am listening folks. I do respect copyright and not undermining folks ability to make a living doing their thing.

but

it feels a little like we tell folk to learn how to engrave in a similar way to someone being told to go learn to speak Japanese, but don't copy anyone else's words and don't even study someone actually speaking Japanese... just come up with something original.

so what CAN we do to help some new or even intermediate engravers advance.

Sam Alfano's training resources are about as good as they come. Lee Griffiths book. (on that note why don't we start listing here what the best study resources we have all seen are??).

I do see a possibility of putting pictures up here and finding them laser engraved on some cheap knives or something some day, but if I really cared I wouldn't share. So what if I see my work again some day? I'll live. Others in a different position who make a career out of this would probably be more bothered.
Hi Dani.

There is something called ”fair use”, which permits copying strictly for personal use. It isn‘t illegal to copy something, say an engraving design one finds on the internet or in a book, and use it for one’s personal studies. However, if one takes that design and uses it in a published, or commercial work without the express permission of the copyright owner, one infringes on the copyright, and the very real prospect of legal consequences comes in to play.

V150super

If anyone wants something to use to practice cutting, instead of design, attached are a couple of pages that I did several years ago to get my hand and eye back into cutting uniformly straight or curved lines, or cutting tiny curves, if I had not been cutting for a bit. They are certainly NOT any kind of great design, but they will function to get your hands and eyes in sync. Feel free to use and share. They will fit 2"x2" practice plates.
Thank You!

Goldjockey

Elite Cafe Member
ok so putting something up on the cafe counts as publishing it. that makes sense. thanks for sharing that goldjockey
Yep. Anytime one puts a work out there, physically, digitally, in a drawing, or in print, that is considered publication. If you plan on registering a copyright for the work, keeping track of the date and form of first publication is particularly important.

Your practice plate drawings are lovely!

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just a tidbit some may not know. If you use Windows, right click on your drawing. Then select "properties." The screen that pops up allows you to embed all sorts of informastion about the picture/photo; ie, name date, F-stops etc. I know it works on jpgs and probably other types. This can be used to show authorship.

renda11

If anyone wants something to use to practice cutting, instead of design, attached are a couple of pages that I did several years ago to get my hand and eye back into cutting uniformly straight or curved lines, or cutting tiny curves, if I had not been cutting for a bit. They are certainly NOT any kind of great design, but they will function to get your hands and eyes in sync. Feel free to use and share. They will fit 2"x2" practice plates.
thank you

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Far be it from me to opine but…..as a watercolor artist technique/ style is copied all the time. Can’t think of any art form that isn’t. Artists are influenced by their peers. Ones at the top of their type work will attract the most attention.

knowingly copying whole designs without permission is wrong for resale is wrong.

however there is a saying, “copying is the sincerest form of flattery”.

Latest posts

Sponsors