Preserving A Transfer

Daannyycc

When transfering a design to metal, either by hand or a transfer method, there is a great chance of messing up the lines due to you rubbing on it.

A trick I use to stop this is Hair Spray. I get the dollar store brand. It fixes the drawing/transfer and protects it from being accidentally being smudged.

Acetone removes it - and any other marks. (It doesn't remove any of the engraving, however - so it won't work on oops).

If you REALLY won't to protect an engraving from anything, you can use Clear Nail Polish, dollar store brand.

NOTE: If too thick for you, use the acetone to thin it - just a bit.

Yup, I used both of these on my engravings.

Any of you have any other preserving techniques?

oniemarc

Elite Cafe Member
My first transfers were with hairspray and they peeled off while engraving, if that makes sense.
I now use cheap nail polish remover(acetone based) and a laserprinted image on regular paper. You can try rubbing it off, but it just won't. No peeling either. With regular acetone I couldn't get anything to transfer correctly, but the nail polish remover works great.

Jeff2t

I've heard that if you are using a laser printed image that you can use a heat gun to fuse the toner onto the metal and it won't rub off. Laser printers use heat to fuse the toner to the paper, so makes sense to fuse it to the metal.

Sponsors