Prep for Colt 1911 22

zzcutter

Elite Cafe Member
I have done two of these and all you have to do is sand it off. I polish my work to 600 grit.
And draw all design on metal with a pencil.

good luck and have fun

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It sounds like Cerracote (sp.) but I'm not really sure. Just finished a Colt Commander .45 ACP and sanded the frame with 600 grit paper. Kinda tough but not too bad. The frame was an alloy and will be finished in Cerracote.

Bill

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It sounds like Cerracote (sp.) but I'm not really sure. Just finished a Colt Commander .45 ACP and sanded the frame with 600 grit paper. Kinda tough but not too bad. The frame was an alloy and will be finished in Cerracote.

Bill

When you refinish in cerakote wont the fine shading be filled in? In other words you won't be able to see them after you coat?

Carlos De La O III

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
If it were cerakote it would be very difficult (at best) to sand off. I'd suspect it is something else.

Carlos--cerakote goes on about 1-3 thou thickness. You also need to prep the surface via blasting w/ aluminum oxide which also destroys lines. Put the two together and you really wash out any engraving w/ correct application.

Dan Gerdes

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Cost may be low, metal may be easy to cut but why would anyone want to pay the price of fine engraving for one of them? Just my 2 cents. Fred

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
why would anyone want to pay the price of fine engraving for one of them?
For the same reason someone would make a hot rod out of a Nash Rambler..........because they can!!
Just because people have money, it doesn't mean they have any class.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just finished one with this coating and it's a simple process to sand as the others have mentioned. In my case we left the sides of the slide in the white after engraving. It was a really nice look. Here's a few pics of that job.

and sorry for the fuzzy pics. only ones I had at the moment.