practice plate complete

celticjohn

I've been working on this plate on and off for a couple of weeks. Finally completed it this week. Plate size is apprx 6" x 3". I tried to execute the script with a flat graver for the first time (big mistake) Apart from the script I'm happy with it. Critique welcome.
One thing that came to mind when nearing the end of this plate "I can't remember the last time I slipped with a graver" which is a good thing. I used to slip a lot and I mean a LOT.

Attachments

• practice plate.jpg
    practice plate.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
I like it all! Your script is good for a first time try...Scrolls are very pleasant and your borders are strong.

Donny

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is a very impressive plate. I do all of my script lettering with a flat, and find them to make the job easier, what did you dislike about flats?

celticjohn

That is a very impressive plate. I do all of my script lettering with a flat, and find them to make the job easier, what did you dislike about flats?

Bruce,

Going on what I see on youtube of script engraving with a flat, it seems the flat is a lot wider than the stroke itself. The meek book has the smaller stroke of the "n" as comprising of 2 strokes this i can manage but the currve at the top where it narrows to a point is giving me trouble. Not sure if its because I'm left handed or I'm just not rolling it right or at rolling at the wrong time within the cut. Also going from narrow to wide and back to narrow again as in the "g" is difficult for me. Hope this makes sense.

Attachments

• script flat.jpg
    script flat.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Makes perfect sense, but I don't think you can blame it on lefthandedness, as i am also left handed! One of the keys to doing this with flats is to go into the cut at the narrow end on letters like the n, and leave the chip attached, then cut it off from the other side. As for the g, well, you do have to roll it, and that does take a lot of practice!

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
, what did you dislike about flats?

Speaking for myself, I don´t have that much control with a flat compare to a 120 degree, but I think it´s all depends on practice practice practice.
If I would only use a flat the coming months, I presume I will be much more positieve about using a flat for lettering, it´s what you used to.

Caty Blom

Elite Cafe Member
Hello willem,
What is an exercise that, you're pretty busy. Coincidentally, I have today been practicing with a flat digger for the characters and it is indeed weo get used to running and the mirror inside it. You edges they've succeeded, you've done this on a shelf under the microscope or simply with a loupe glasses? Looks like we nevertheless invariably pursue further our exercises. And you were right about the bracelet, I should think before I go first draw what I want to do and then go bowls. So you learn again, greetings Caty

Andrew Biggs

I always enjoy looking at these kind of practice plates. They look cool and have an olde worlde look about them

Looks great. Keep it up as the work will only get better.

Cheers
Andrew