Practice piece - something different

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had mentioned earlier that I was building a baby cradle for my new granddaughter who will be born in January. Someone asked to see pictures of it. This is my practice piece built to get all the bugs out before doing the final one. This one will be used as a toybox at our house. The wife prefers the primitive look, so I made it from rough sawn pitch pine boards. They had to be planed to thickness, edged straight on one side, then run thru the saw and squared on the other 3 sides. Random width boards were glued together and cut to final dimensions. Knots, worm holes, dents, and tooling marks were left for the primitive effect.

Toolsmarks, wormholes, etc. purposely left are more visible here.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I will probably start on the real one later this week using lessons learned on this one. It will be from walnut with some good mineral streaking in it and the rockers will be functional. It will be more fancy than this one, having scrollwork carved into the headboards and an engraved brass plaque for future generations, should it become a family heirloom.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I imagine it will most certainly be a family heirloom. Very creative idea, keep us posted.

Thanks
Todd

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
heirloom for sure. the folks getting this would be quite proud to get your prototype. cool stuff, way better than the plastic junk one sees in the stores.

Latest posts

Sponsors