Practice engraving on a stainless steel cigar clipper

This isn't any sort of request per se; I just wanted to post something again. However, feel free to post your opinions on this work, as I appreciate even scathing comments. We don't know what we don't know, right?
So I've never engraved stainless steel before, and decided to try it on a very plain looking cigar clipper I bought. I'm using a C-Max carbide graver that I've ground to a 90 degree angle. The face is 45 degrees and the heel is 15 with about a 1/4 mm belly. My graver heel keeps chipping when I'm trying to cut the curves for the "S" letters. I'm using a 901 hand piece to do this; I do have the Monarch and thought about using that hand piece to rectify my chipping problem, but I'm not sure this will work. I drew the letters freehand, used a Starrett divider (just like the ones Sam has in some of his videos and probably as old) for the inner and outer border, and measured the distance between the letters with a steel metric ruler. I'm wishing now that I was more patient. This is my biggest drawback in trying to get better at engraving. I did the "S" letters last, and it shows; they look rushed to me and I'm not satisfied. I honestly never thought I'd make it this far when I first started reading about engraving, as it seemed so arcane at first. I probably would be further along if I could drop my other hobbies: computer gaming and watching movies, but I am starting to get the engraving bug more and more. I did a lot of bench repair work before I ever got into engraving but always wanted to expand my repertoire. Hopefully one day I can take classes with someone or even at the GRS facility, as of the moment I am fully autodidactic in engraving, unless you consider Sam's videos.

Attachments

• IMG_2681.jpg
    IMG_2681.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 124

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you could try a 50 degree face. that makes the point a bit more resistant to breakage. some folks dub the point. they say that can make a difference. your letters look nice to me. esp with the background treatment.

Latest posts

Sponsors